Flash Bracket, Lightsphere? In need of some lighting tips.

The flashbender is nice especially for off camera flash to snoot your light. If you go ask a group of professional wedding photographers, I say 95% of them do not use a bracket.

Young people with two to five years of professional-level wedding experience typically have no idea what a bracket is or why they might want to use one.Never touched one, never tried one, never used one, and so ergo, they have no need for it. It's a lot like people who have never used a FF digital or a 35mm camera and have zero actual experience with either, and yet are sure that what they use is "da best".

Over the years I have networked with a lot of professional wedding photographers derrel. Yes you have experience.. but are you in the wedding industry now? The OP keeps posting about adding new stuff to what she has. Why not encourage her to use what she has instead of adding new stuff and complicate things? She admitted she prefers natural light. You really think it is a good idea to use a bracket and a cord? I simply told her most wedding photographers dont bother using a bracket anymore.

So, you've networked "over the years" with wedding shooters...Would those years be perhaps 2011, 2012, 2013? I mean, you first picked up a camera when? Was it 2010?

So, your explanation is that a bracket is not needed with a digital camera, but it ONCE WAS needed with a film camera? Is that your logic?? That today's self-taught wedding snappers don't own a bracket, so therefore a bracket must be useless?

Ahhh...I gave you a polite, genuine request to explain your position. And you come back with..."Well, people I see today..."

Do I really think it's a good idea to use a bracket and a TTL connecting cord. A polite F*** YES! is my answer. I am laughing that a bracket and a TTL remote cord "complicates things."

And here it is, ONE last opportunity for you to answer: "Why do most wedding shooters today not use a flash bracket?"

Is it because they are, for the most part, people under 35, who have learned how to push the button in the last five years? Or, something else?

I am looking for an actual REASON. One that can be justified. supported by FACTS. You know what those are? Reasons?

Derrel I'd like to see you have one argument that doesn't reference your age and the age of the opponent.

Skip the diffuser, always bounce your flash and the bracket is a personal choice. But again I am not in my twilight years so my experience is invalid apparently.

Skip the diffuser, always bounce your flash and the bracket is a personal choice. But again I am not in my twilight years so my experience is invalid apparently.
Ehhh.... not always; usually, yes, but not always. There are lots of times when it's not appropriate to bounce flash, but very, very few when it's inappropriate to have a diffuser. Relying on bounce in large venues, can be problematic due to colours and distances.

One other suggestion: Even when using the speedlight, increase the ISO to 640, 800 or somewhere in that range so that you can reduce the flash output, thereby lessening recycle time, increasing battery duration and keeping the flash cooler (and/or increasing flash "range").

Derrel I'd like to see you have one argument that doesn't reference your age and the age of the opponent.

It's not age--it's how long one has been around and it is also the "state of the craft"...

A self-taught newcomer to the field, one who has been shooting seriously for four years versus somebody with 30+ years behind the eyepiece, taught by master photographers...which one has more breadth of experience?

It's not about age, it's about having had the time to be exposed to MANY different ways of taking photographs, of lighting photos. it has ZERO to do with "age"...it's about EXPERIENCE.

Runnah: tell me what it's like to be 50 years old. Runnah, Tell me, which were the BEST dance bands of the 1980's.

Oh...you can't. But whatever...you seem pretty dense on the obvious: Again, I asked Robin to tell us WHY, using FACTS, why so many of the young, new shooters, snapping wedding pics today do not own flash brackets.

He has no way to back up his statement about why is was once necessary at one time, but now, magically is no longer needed. WTF does that have to do with my age or his age? Answer: nothing.

He said a bracket and a TTL connecting cord. "complicates" things. How so? TTL does the control of the flash, and the bracket improves the lighting pattern.

But, how would he know either of those things from actual experience? I doubt he has ever used a bracket of any kind; and that has nothing to do with my "age", nor with his "age", but EVERYTHING to do with a lack of breadth of experience in the field of photography.

Next he'll be telling me a view camera has no purpose....,because, "None of the people he has networked with own a view camera! Hilarious. Runnah, you might not be in the twilight years, but your lack of logic is juvenile. Apparently, you love making personal attacks on me.

Threatened much, Runnah?

"I have never owned a flash bracket. Therefore, it is useless."

"I have talked to people my age and they have no idea what old-time methods are all about. It's all useless crap."

--Hip Newfangled Weddingpro III, Esq.

It's not age--it's how long one has been around and it is also the "state of the craft"... A self-taught newcomer to the field, one who has been shooting seriously for four years versus somebody with 30+ years behind the eyepiece, taught by master photographers... It's not about age, it's about having had the time to be exposed to MANY different ways of taking photographs, of lighting photos. it has ZERO to do with "age"...it's about EXPERIENCE. Runnah: tell me what it's like to be 50 years old. Runnah, Tell me, which were the BEST dance bands of the 1980's. Oh...you can't. But whatever...you seem pretty dense on the obvious: Again, I asked Robin to tell us WHY, using FACTS, why so many of the young, new shooters, snapping wedding pics today do not own flash brackets. He has no way to back up his statement about why is was once necessary at one time, but now, magically is no longer needed. WTF does that have to do with my age or his age? Answer: nothing. He said a bracket and a TTL connecting cord. "complicates" things. How so? TTL does the control of the flash, and the bracket improves the lighting pattern. But, how would he know either of those things from actual experience? I doubt he has ever used a bracket of any kind; and that has nothing to do with my "age", nor with his "age", but EVERYTHING to do with a lack of breadth of experience in the field of photography. Next he'll be telling me a view camera has no purpose....,because, "None of the people he has networked with own a view camera! Hilarious. Runnah, you might not be in the twilight years, but your lack of logic is juvenile. Apparently, you love making personal attacks on me. Threatened much, Runnah?

Why not just explain why you think something is good rather than playing the experience card every chance you get. In my experience those who have to remind everyone about how good they are usually aren't.

Okay folks, let's keep clean and above the belt, 'kay?

Times have changed, photographically speaking. A LOT! While I'm definitely in the "bracket" camp, I can appreciate where, with all of the advances in TTL metering and other flash technologies, I don't think they are as important as they once were. Just line 30 years ago, the pro showed up with his 6x7 and five rolls of 120 to shoot an entire wedding; today it's not uncommon for some to shoot 2000+ images in a regular wedding That said, I'd never not bring my bracket to a wedding or similar event!

Okay folks, let's keep clean and above the belt, 'kay?

Times have changed, photographically speaking. A LOT! While I'm definitely in the "bracket" camp, I can appreciate where, with all of the advances in TTL metering and other flash technologies, I don't think they are as important as they once were. Just line 30 years ago, the pro showed up with his 6x7 and five rolls of 120 to shoot an entire wedding; today it's not uncommon for some to shoot 2000+ images in a regular wedding That said, I'd never not bring my bracket to a wedding or similar event!

Now I can appreciate that response. Nothing is wrong to be in the 5%. I am telling you guys my observation. I do not understand the hostility.

Ok then here's my next Q, my flash has 3 modes, slave1 slave2 & manual. Can I use a TTL cord with that? My flash is a Neewer TT560.

The Neewer is a generic flash with no TTL capability. You will have to control your exposure manually.

At this point, I think you need to look far a flash that will communicate with your camera.

Phil

The easy way to prevent redeye and those distracting shadows is to get your flash off the camera and keep it centered over the axis of the camera. A flip type flash bracket is the tool to do this. You always keep the shadows directly behind the subject.. Good photography doesnt change just because you use a dslr instead of a ol' fashion Mamiya RZ Pro 11 film camera with a Metz 60 ct4 flash.....

The easy way to prevent redeye and those distracting shadows is to get your flash off the camera and keep it centered over the axis of the camera. A flip type flash bracket is the tool to do this. You always keep the shadows directly behind the subject.. Good photography doesnt change just because you use a dslr instead of a ol' fashion Mamiya RZ Pro 11 film camera with a Metz 60 ct4 flash.....

I agree but I also disagree. Modern dslr can allow for much subtler applications of flash. Going from film with low speeds to cameras with ISO values in the 5 digits has really changed things.

Here is some information from one of the current leaders in flash photography.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/flash-brackets/

Here is Neil's personal favorite bracket, and the one he uses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478303-REG/Custom_Brackets_DIGITALPROMK_Digital_PRO_M_Camera_Rotating.html

http://neilvn.com/tangents/review-custom-brackets-pro-m-rotating-bracket/

Adorama and B&H have 142 and 129 different brackets. Huh...wonder why they even sell these utterly useless items.

One thing I find interesting is the way people who can afford a Canon 5D Mark III, which can shoot really decent images at ISO 3200 when bouncing a flash off a 20-foot ceiling tell an UTTER flash newbie that there's no value in a bracket. And the person owns a 60D...a camera that, in my experience, sucks above ISO 800...

Again, we have people advising a newcomer to flash that one of the BEST tools ever invented is useless.

I'm done with this thread. I'll let the younger Canon 5D Mark III and zoom lenses/ sell off all my zoom lenses/ go all-prime lenses/ RE-buy my zoom lenses guy take it on home...

One thing I find interesting is the way people who can afford a Canon 5D Mark III, which can shoot really decent images at ISO 3200 when bouncing a flash off a 20-foot ceiling tell an UTTER flash newbie that there's no value in a bracket. And the person owns a 60D...a camera that, in my experience, sucks above ISO 800... Again, we have people advising a newcomer to flash that one of the BEST tools ever invented is useless. I'm done with this thread. I'll let the younger Canon 5D Mark III and zoom lenses/ sell off all my zoom lenses/ go all-prime lenses/ RE-buy my zoom lenses guy take it on home...

Oh personal attacks. How fun!

Anyways the OP never mentioned 20 foot ceilings. Secondly I think that adding the difficulty of using a bracket for someone who has never shot a wedding would be too much. My suggestion of bouncing the flash and skipping the diffuser was in an attempt to have her focus on the basics rather than over complicate things. Lastly she doesn't have the budget to buy a bracket and cord.

I don't know. So far my statement is pretty accurate. But it is facebook.. probably not accurate. Or maybe because my friends are 35 and younger? Not true.. I am 36 my self.

$flash.jpg

Most reactions

Back