Flash for D90

NCHornet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at purchasing the D90 and I am trying to put together a package deal. I will be using the camera in a mulitple of ways. Kids portraits, family photos outside and studio work with strobes, as well as shooting weddings at our church. It is a older church and the lighting is poor, can you recommend a good Flash unit?
I was looking at the SB 600 OR 800 But I am uncertain about the technical specs. I want a good flash that will do the job, but don't need a lot of special custom features. I appreciate any help you can provide. Reading this forum has really helped me on my decision, I was already to buy the Sony A700 but I now think the D90 will be better for my needs.
Thanks
Kevin

The SB-800 is a really nice flash, and it supports the ability to use multiple speedlights. Nikon's "Creative Lighting System" they call it. If you need to use strobes for studio, then this will do the job.

There is also the SB-600 which does most of the samethings as the SB-800 but for half the price

I have the SB-600 and the SB-800. I haven't fully learned all the settings of the SB-800 yet, but I think in most situations the SB-600 will probably work great for you as long as your camera can be the commander of the flash for the TTL (which the D90 does).

ya i forgot to add that the SB-800 can control other flashes but u dont need it
i do though with the D70 i belive

Thanks for the info , so y'all think the SB 600 will have enough output for these dimly lit churches? I didn't look real close at the specs but does the 800 of a lot more light output than the 600? They is quite a price difference between the two, but I don't need features I will never use either.
Thanks
Kevin

ya i forgot to add that the SB-800 can control other flashes but u dont need it
i do though with the D70 i belive
The D70 has commander mode. You shouldn't need a sb800 to do wireless...

Thanks for the info , so y'all think the SB 600 will have enough output for these dimly lit churches? I didn't look real close at the specs but does the 800 of a lot more light output than the 600? They is quite a price difference between the two, but I don't need features I will never use either.
Thanks
Kevin

The SB600 puts out quite a bit of light. It does a very good job when put with an umbrella in a church situation. I shot a wedding two weeks ago in a VERY low light church. I used two sb600's with umbrellas and they worked out great.

Thanks everyone!!! I have a new D90, SB 600 and a extra battery and two 8mg cards on the way!!

Kevin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back