Flash Gels

SpartanGTR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got a flash for the holidays, starting to get more into lighting. One of the things I picked up was a set of gels. I understand the use of a CTO gel, but what if I want to go the opposite direction? Let's say I want to use my flash around my house. A lot of the bulbs in my house are daylight balanced 6500K bulbs. The temp of my flash is ~5500K. The CTO gels would take my color temp down, but what if I want to bump my flash from 5500 to 6500?

The bare unfiltered flash should be close enough but if you want to be pedantic you can use a 1/8 CT-Blue gel to get matching color balance.
This site might interest you as it has a handy color correction calculator.

As noted, the bare un-gelled flash should be pretty close to daylight balanced already. If you want to get really picky, get yourself a Passport Color Checker and deal with it in post processing.

At the very least, get a gray card and put it into the first frame, then use that set your white balance/color temp in the camera, or to color balance in post. I use one of these, and it works great for me:

Photovision 14" Pocket One Shot Digital Target DT14010 B&H

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, you should probably check your light bulbs instead of trusting them. The advertised color temperature of the typical store light bulb and the actual color temperature can be quite a bit off.

You may not need to do anything since flash is intended to be natively 'daylight' color balanced.

One technique I use especially on a cloudy day is I set my White Balance to Tungsten Mode and place an amber gel on my speedlight. Get some awesome results' with all the grey clouds looking a brilliant blue while my subject looks completely natural.

Most reactions

Back