Flash Help

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use an external flash, right now I use it with a wireless remote (when the built in flash goes off, it triggers the external flash) I've seen some photographers who have a wire around their neck.. one end is in the shoe on the camera, the other is hooked onto the flash... first what is this called, second, what is the advantage of this over the wireless remote that I use (other than a very slight time delay) Also is there a way with my D40 that I can turn off the built in flash so I just use the external (when its directly in the shoe) right now, when its in the shoe, the built in flash pops up and they both fire at the same time...

I use an external flash, right now I use it with a wireless remote (when the built in flash goes off, it triggers the external flash) I've seen some photographers who have a wire around their neck.. one end is in the shoe on the camera, the other is hooked onto the flash... first what is this called, second, what is the advantage of this over the wireless remote that I use (other than a very slight time delay) Also is there a way with my D40 that I can turn off the built in flash so I just use the external (when its directly in the shoe) right now, when its in the shoe, the built in flash pops up and they both fire at the same time...

It's called "wired" flash (as opposed to "wireless" flash). Duh... The advantage is that it's physically impossible to get a signal from another camera.

I don't know the details of the D40 but I suspect that the built-in flash pops up only in the PhD (Push here Dummy) modes. I believe that it will not pop up IF you're in the P, S, A, or M mode.

It's called "wired" flash (as opposed to "wireless" flash). Duh... The advantage is that it's physically impossible to get a signal from another camera.

I don't know the details of the D40 but I suspect that the built-in flash pops up only in the PhD (Push here Dummy) modes. I believe that it will not pop up IF you're in the P, S, A, or M mode.

DUH, good point.. I knew that, I usually shoot in M.. must just not have been paying attention

thanks for the help

I'm not sure what you'd use with an SB-50DX, but I have an SC-29 cable that I can use from my D40 or D80 to my SB-400/600 flashes. The SC-28 will also work. The only difference is it doesn't have an AF assist light in it. I'm not familiar with the older flashes, but with the cable on my D40 I get the advantages of an off-camera flash without screwing around with wireless modes and still get full i-TTL automatic flash exposure mode.

The D40 pop-up flash doesn't have a built-in flash commander so you can't do wireless i-TTL like you can on the D70 and higher. I can on my D80, and if I want to block the pop-up's flash to prevent it distubring the subject I have an SG-3IR pop-up flash blocker. It still triggers the remote flashes, but blocks your subject from getting blinded by your on-camera flash. Clumsy, but pretty nifty. I'm not sure if this fits the D40, though. The SG-3IR is only designed for the cameras that have built-in commander modes which is the D70 and higher.

If you really want to go all-out, you could get an SU-800 commander which will trigger i-TTL flashes remotely with no flash and no pop-up stuff. I was going to get one of these, but just don't use off-camera flash stuff enough to justify the expense so I passed. There are folks out there who buy into the Nikon system specifically for their great flash exposure system and lighting options.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back