Flash help

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking online and doing research trying to find a decent flash for my Rebel 350. I'm a little confussed by all the flash terminology tho if someone could tell me what I specs I should be looking for and possibly reccomend some flashes. It will be used mainly for portraits ad a fill flash and in low light situations. My price range is about $150 around there would be nice, a little more is ok too. Thank you

One school of thought, is to get a Canon flash that will work with your camera. These would be called TTL (through the lens) because the camera meters the light and tells the flash when to stop. The top of the line is the 580EX (or older 550EX), then the next one down is the 430EX (or older 420EX). Those are above your budget...although, you may be able to get one of the older ones used, for a good price. I'm not sure what is next...I think there is a 300 series and probably a 200EX Canon Speedlite....although the 300 or 200 won't tilt or swivel.
Canon's old line of flashes was the EZ line. Don't get one of these...they are not all that compatible. There are other brands of flash units that will also work with TTL. The Sigma 500 is one. Sunpak may make one.

Another school of thought would be to get an Auto thyristor flash. I see the Vivitar 283 or 285 recomended quite a bit. I have a Braun Vario-zoom that works well. An auto thyristor flash doesn't work with the camera...like a TTL flash does. These flashes read the light themselves and you have to match the setting on camera and flash. It's pretty easy.

Here is a site that might help you understand Canon flash...although it's a long technical read.

Wow that was long. Tried to read thru most of it.

So I have narrowed my choices down to these three

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...999&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...109&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...436&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

If you have anything to say about either. I like the Canon has a swivel but besides that the stats seem to be pretty much the same from what I know. The Metz has a slightly shorter zoom and I like being with Canon because I know it will be more compatible and probally have less problems.

The Sigma is the most powerful with a GN of 165'...the Metz was the lowest.

One thing I noticed was that the Sigma is the only one with E-TTL II.

The newest Canon cameras have a newer technology for flash metering. This is called E-TTL II. I think the Rebel XT is compatible with that.

The Sigma looks pretty good. I have heard some people say that it's worth it to upgrade to the 500 Super, over this one, because it's got some good features....but that will push out of your budget.

Check some reviews, if you can find them. Check things like recycle time, which may or may not be important to you.

Ok cool thanks.

I have a sigma lens that isn't compatible with my camera for chip reasons. When I talked to them a while ago they said I could trade it in for a newer lens, maybe they will let me trade it in for the flash. That would be nice way to bring it down about $50. They have an e-mail waiting for them

Many years ago I opted for a bracketed flash with a quick-release fitting. I've never 'up-graded', and my Sunpack 511 keeps rolling right along to this day. The design provides great freedom in positioning.

Most reactions

Back