Flash help

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No clue what I should get. I have nothing but my built in flash right now. I want something for fill flash and also something I can photograph horses in stadium lighting. What do you suggest? And should I get two different flash's for these different activity's? I know the flash for stadium lighting needs to be pretty strong.

Ummm how, not what.

The fill flash on the SB-800 is no better then the fill flash on the D80's popup unit. It will do the job just the same, and both produce flat boring light. Fortunately Nikon's seem to fill flash very subtly so it looks good regardless.

With the horses do you mean from the stands? From 30m away? In both those cases a big mains flash may have difficulty, and you'd be better off getting a sharp prime lens like a 200mm f/2.8 or something. If you mean photographing horses from a few metres away then I will probably suggest get whatever flash you want but put it on an L bracket since you can't bounce it of anything in a stadium.

Care to elaborate?

Well, the guy at Ritz said something along the same lines as you Garbz. I had no idea I would need a new lens. Once he explained WHY though it all made perfect sense. I got th SB-600 and as I understand it, it will help me take some better pics so long as I am with 15-20ft which is fine.
I am going to practice with the lens I have now and get the 70-200 f/2.8 when I can.

Most reactions

Back