flash meter ?

tcodmin68

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
we just purchased a new 50d canon and i bought my fiancee a new flash meter for her b-day to better help her understand lighting. my question is wth everything the 50d has do i really need the meter?

we just purchased a new 50d canon and i bought my fiancee a new flash meter for her b-day to better help her understand lighting. my question is wth everything the 50d has do i really need the meter?
If you're planning to get into off-camera lighting then you'll probably want to keep the flash meter.

Welcome to the forum.

For just using the camera's flash, you don't need a flash meter. The ambient metering can still be useful, but it's certainly not a neccesity as the camera has a built-in meter and can display the Histogram right after a shot.

If she is going to get into off-camera or studio lighting, then the flash meter will be very useful.

Unless you have a flash meter, you will have to test the strength of the flash on a trial and error basis, until you get the desired exposure correctly. I strongly suggest a flash meter and there are many out there like Sekonic for example which has a continuous and flash provision as well as multiple flash readings. Unfortunately camera's are not flash meters, however, wouldn't that be a great feature?

Most reactions

Back