Flash mode in macro in Nikon D5200

Nerodit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I face some times reflections of light on the image e.g. on wings of insects, at macro photography. How to avoid it except the use of polarizing filter. Can I use AF-L for this purpose? How to make my flash to work in two steps as in portrait? I consider that this flash mode could solve this problem.

Rgds

Nikos

are you currently just using the pop-up flash?

Thanks Braineack for your interest.
I use built in flash from the beggining. I know that it is not the best solution. I am thinking to use normal flash later. It is better for macro.

I face some times reflections of light on the image e.g. on wings of insects, at macro photography. How to avoid it except the use of polarizing filter. Can I use AF-L for this purpose? How to make my flash to work in two steps as in portrait? I consider that this flash mode could solve this problem.

Rgds

Nikos

Simply get the flash off camera, so the light is coming from a different direction, so it will not be reflected straight back into the lens. You can practice this shooting into a glass window. Straight into it will see a blinking reflection. Angled in will just fine.

Mount the flash in a Nikon SC-28 or SC-17 coiled cord, and arrange a simple bracket, or hand hold it beside the camera so it makes about a 45 degree angle into the subject. You can drap a white handkerchief over the flash, or put small white paper bag over it, to diffuse the light.

Dear Wayne

Thanks for your help. I will apply your advice. I found them useful. I understand that the use of an external flash on the shoe either with a coiled cord is a very good solution. On the other hand I am thinking to use a diffuser.

Rgds

Nikos Roditakis

if you want a nice off camera flash and don't want to pay allot. these are pretty darn nice. i got 2 of them and some umbrella soft boxes for when i do portraits or i use them just need to use a flash on or off for something. these way better than the on camera flash and they have a bunch of different settings like a strobe setting and what not.

i have seen some reviews where these were compared to the higher end nikon speed lights that cost allot of money and these are said to work just as good which is what made me get this model. i am quite happy with mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-VK750-...=1447004458&sr=8-2&keywords=neewer+speedlight

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back