flash on bracket and connction cables

michal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i got myself vivitar 850af c flash,
now i want to use it on the bracket, what kind of extension cable do i need (and from where) to make it work with my camera (canon rebel Ti)
and in the manual it says nothing that i can use it with rebel Ti just rebel models but not Ti, is this safe to use it with any rebel model anyways?

is this the right kind of cable?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AG922/qid=1068268498/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/104-3863620-2379101?v=glance&s=photo[/ame]

If you want to use all the fancy TTL and auto-metering features of your Rebel, then you're going to want a Canon dedicated flash cord. I went to the Canon website and looked under EOS accessories/flash accessories and found an "Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 (#2391A001AA)" that looks like what you need.

Basically you need a cord that goes from the camera to the flash. Some cameras have a flash cord socket built into the body. Cameras that don't have this socket will need a hot-shoe adapter; this is a flash cord socket that fits onto your hot-shoe. Some flashes also have a built in flash cord socket. Flashes that don't have this adapter will need the part which is a socket that fits onto the flash. Some models come with all three pieces combined into one. Some manufacturers sell the parts individually.

You can buy old-fashioned PC sync cord stuff if you want to go cheap, and you always use your flash manually, but if you want to use any auto-exposure or TTL functions be sure and get equipment that supports such features.

with this off camera shoe cord i will be able to easily place my flash on the flash bracket right?

also in spcifications it says it was made for use with Canon Speedlite flashes. its safe to use with vivitar products (this model was made for canon cameras afterall???)

Yes, it will work fine with the Vivitar.

You should be able to easily place the flash (via the off-shoe adapter) on the bracket. But I have run into equipment that didn't fit easily. I have one set-up that requires a generic hot-shoe adapter that fits between the off-shoe adapter and the bracket shoe, because for some reason the off-shoe adapter is slightly too big for the bracket shoe.

ksmattfish said:
Yes, it will work fine with the Vivitar.
well, i got it and it won't work unfortunately. all the functions work except it wont make actual flash light work. so it's useless. this cord works only with canon speedlite flashes. dont' buy it if you got vivatar. i still didn't find the cable for my vivatar but it's due to my laziness and no need for it at the moment. :D

All the Canon brand flash cords at my local camera shop work fine with Vivitar and Sunpak flashes whether the flash is dedicated to Canon or not. Either you've got something new (maybe Canon is trying to cut out the aftermarket brands) or there is something wrong with the flash or the cord.

ksmattfish said:
All the Canon brand flash cords at my local camera shop work fine with Vivitar and Sunpak flashes whether the flash is dedicated to Canon or not. Either you've got something new (maybe Canon is trying to cut out the aftermarket brands) or there is something wrong with the flash or the cord.

hmmmmmmm,, i will have to check it again. if you say it should work eventhugh canon says it won't.
flash works fine on camra though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back