Flash or lens

Opher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello i have been planing on getting a new lens for quite a bit now. Than i joined this forum and have read that it may be better to get a flash.

I currently have a canon XS with the 18-55is kit lens. It was my birthday last month and so i have some spending $ not much but i can spend some of my tuition money on it(Shhh dont tell)

So i am looking at the 55-250IS lens or a Canon 430EX II Flash. If i get the flash what exesrys do you suggest? ie. defuser ext.

Any comments or suggestions.

Hum... what are you planning to use your acquisition for? I really don't see a comparison between a lens and a flash, so your objective would be the key to answer that.

Hum... what are you planning to use your acquisition for? I really don't see a comparison between a lens and a flash, so your objective would be the key to answer that.

At some point i want both but i will let you know what i use my camera most for.

I am a youth leader at my church as well as the unofficial photographer. I usually shoot in a constantly changing environment with little control. Mostly i photograph the youth at our events.

I was thinking the flash would help a lot with the action shots but would like the extra reach on the lens for when they are just to far away.

Hope this was helpful

If you find yourself indoors even part of the time for your pictures, I highly recommend getting a flash that you can bounce off a ceiling. Also get one of those plastic on-flash diffusers if it doesn't come with one. MAJOR benefit and totally critical for indoor shots of people and such. Get the lense later.

Personal opinion.

If you find yourself indoors even part of the time for your pictures, I highly recommend getting a flash that you can bounce off a ceiling. Also get one of those plastic on-flash diffusers if it doesn't come with one. MAJOR benefit and totally critical for indoor shots of people and such. Get the lense later.

Personal opinion.

I am mostly indoors so i will probably end up getting the flash. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a cheap ebay radio trigger for off camera flash. To help reduce harsh shadows outside?

I think it is near mandatory to get that flash OFF the camera for nice shots. :)

thank you all for your responses:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back