Flash Photography book recommendation

runnergirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have a good recommendation on a book to help guide me through the proper use of flash? I am very much a beginner but I understand my camera but would like to learn more about how to use my flash. I have a DSLR and recently bought an additional flash to improve my indoor photography (specifically working on portraits). I searched Amazon for books that can help guide me but am curious what your opinions are.

strobist.com and chech the tutorials
bigthumb.gif

What flash system are you using - Canon, Nikon or other? There are some good books, but some of them are very specific to Canon or Nikon. For example, Speedliter's Hand book by Syl Arena is very good for Canon Speedlites - Amazon.com: syl arena speedliters handbook: Books and Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography by N K Guy - Amazon.com: Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography (9781933952444): NK Guy: Books is another reference for the Canon Speedlite systems.

This one covers some of the Nikon flash systems - Amazon.com: The Nikon Creative Lighting System: Using the SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, and R1C1 Flashes (9781933952994): Mike Hagen: Books and then there are a number of general flash books, such as this one by Bryan Peterson - Amazon.com: Understanding Flash Photography: How to Shoot Great Photographs Using Electronic Flash (9780817439569): Bryan Peterson: Books . As well, there are a number of books that are specific to types of photography such as macro, portrait and wedding photography. You have to give us more information so that we can be more specific in our response. Strobist.com, as mentioned, has all kinds of good stuff and if you Google "flash photography" you will find a lot of other stuff as well. HTH.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
Wasn't Bryan Peterson going to put out a new book in the near future on lighting?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back