Flash Photography- Wedding

CalebNV

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys I need some help in figuring out whether I will need a speedlite flash and other equipment for my sisters wedding coming up in August. The reception will be on a boat off the coast of California. I do not know if the reception will be inside in an enclosed area of the boat or if it is an open deck boat reception but it will be from 5 p.m. - 8 p.m. and the sun will set closer to 8. Can somebody tell me if I need to worry about the lighting and if so, what inexpensive gear could I get to practice with before the wedding roles around. Also if I do need an external flash, will a minisoft box do a good enough job of diffusing light and not creating harsh shadows?

Thank you who ever answers!

I wouldn't consider shooting a wedding without a speedlight any more than I would consider showing up without my trousers! After your camera and lenses, a speedlight is the next most essential item in your kit.

If you're not worrying about light and lighting, then you're probably not doing a very good job. The lighting may be lovely at 7.30pm on the California coast, but what happens if Aunt Tilly has her back to the setting sun? You're not getting the shot without some sort of light.

Those little speedlight softboxes do an okay job; they're not great, but they're a LOT better than nothing. The other item you should look into is a flash bracket so that you can get the flash away from the lens axis and avoid the classic 'flashed' look and red-eye problems that using a flash in the hot-shoe creates.

As for cost, well, that depends on what 'inexpensive' means to you. You can spend $500 on an SB910, or $75 on a Yongnuo 560. Both will do the job, but clearly, the SB910 will offer you more flexibility and quality.

Flashes are essential for shooting a wedding. We usually bring 4 of them, along with stands and diffusers for the formal portraits.
There are some venues that wont allow flashes during the ceremony, but usually they allow them for everything else. Jacking your ISO up is not a substitute for proper lighting. Flashes will give you proper exposure, soften harsh sunlight, and get rid of harsh shadows.

^ What Jason and John said! My advice would be to hire a pro... cause if you screw up, and trash the photos, your sister probably won't be happy. It really doesn't sound like you are ready to do a wedding, based on your questions!

^ What Jason and John said! My advice would be to hire a pro... cause if you screw up, and trash the photos, your sister probably won't be happy. It really doesn't sound like you are ready to do a wedding, based on your questions!

Yea this is more of a learning experience for me, she is not depending on me to get everything and be all perfect. She knows I have just gotten into photography and would like me to take some pictures for her. I'm not getting paid, just dipping my feet in the "wedding water". :)

Be careful here... Its easy for them to "say" they dont have high expectations for the pictures NOW... But when the wedding is over, what they hope to be a ONE TIME deal, and they are looking at mediocre pictures of their big day.... They might be singing a different tune.

On the other hand, if they have seen examples of your work and are happy enough with it, then go for it. Its a good experience, but very easy to get poor results if your not prepared.

On the other hand, if they have seen examples of your work and are happy enough with it, then go for it. Its a good experience, but very easy to get poor results if your not prepared.

I will not over estimate myself, especially not on such an important day in her life. Thank you for the advice, I truly appreciate it! Have you shot a wedding before? I ask so that you might be able to share ways with me to learn and practice as I have a few weeks and lots of spare time.

I will not over estimate myself, especially not on such an important day in her life. Thank you for the advice, I truly appreciate it! Have you shot a wedding before? I ask so that you might be able to share ways with me to learn and practice as I have a few weeks and lots of spare time.

I second shoot weddings for my wife and several other photographers.
I do the occasional portrait.
Second shooting is the best way to get experience for weddings.

There is this lady in my church, Kira Sanoja (in case you guys know her), that is a professional and she took pictures for my prom a few months ago, would it be a good idea to ask her if I could 'shadow' her and learn from her? Or am I intruding on her business and time?

There is this lady in my church, Kira Sanoja (in case you guys know her), that is a professional and she took pictures for my prom a few months ago, would it be a good idea to ask her if I could 'shadow' her and learn from her? Or am I intruding on her business and time?

It never hurts to ask.
If she doesn't mind teaching, theres no better way to learn. Theres more to weddings than just being able to take a good picture. Weddings can move fast, And it's easy to miss moments you cant go back and reshoot. I like second shooting because i get to shoot events without all the pressure of having to get every shot. I dont have pressure from clients, and as long as i do MY part well, i dont have any pressure from the main photographer. I have no desire whatsoever to shoot weddings on my own. It would suck all the enjoyment right out of it for me. Since photography isnt a career for me, at the point i stop enjoying it, i will stop doing it.

Weddings can move fast, And it's easy to miss moments you cant go back and reshoot.
Well noted, thanks for the help. One last thing, how many flashes do you personally use for wedding photos? What techniques and equipment do you use to have soft, well exposed pictures?

How many flashes depends on the lighting. Sometimes one flash off camera is enough, sometimes there is a lot of mixed or uneven lighting somewhere and ill use two flashes.

I like shoot through umbrellas, but soft boxes work good too. When i shoot with the flash on camera, it is usually with a large flexible bounce card.

What size umbrella do you use? Could you recommend good but inexpensive bounce umbrellas and bounce cards please? I do have a reflector that is a five in one so it can also work as a diffuser, will this do just as good of a job?

Asking to shadow the lady from church is a fantastic idea.

I would go in with the default expectation, however, of her wanting to be paid for that, especially if she's teaching you stuff in addition to photographing the wedding. Although even if so, you might swing a discount (or not. Lots of wedding photographers work through friend networks, and if they gave discounts to all their friends, they'd never make any money).

Asking to shadow the lady from church is a fantastic idea.

I would go in with the default expectation, however...

Is it best to let her decide on the price? Or would it be selfish of me to tell her what I would pay for each session of her time?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back