Flash Photography

He has a remote flash transmitter in the hotshoe...sounded like from the OP that he wants to learn how to use off-camera, remotely-trigger flash, not be leashed to a TTL system in which the tail is wagging the dog?

Not sure...I thought he was working with an ***external** flash, being triggered by the hotshoe-mounted trigger...and so...when the on-camera flash pops up--there is ZERO "benefit" of having a TTL flash calling the shots...unless that remote flash off-camera is ALSO a fully-Nikon TTL-aware remote flash unit....and with a Nikon in-camera TTL pop-up flash sending out a TTL pre-flash signal, the second, external satellite flash will in 95% of cases, be mis-timed by 10,15,20 milliseconds...

I'm not sure I see the TTL system as the tail wagging the dog. It's a very well-designed system that works extremely well in a lot of average situations.

He has a remote flash transmitter in the hotshoe...sounds like he wants to learn how to use flash, not be leashed to a TTL system in which the tail is wagging the dog?

Not sure...I thought he was working with an ***external** flash, being triggered by the hotshoe-mounted trigger...and so...when the on-camera flash pops up--there is ZERO "benefit" of having a TTL flash calling the shots...unless that remote flash off-camera is ALSO a fully-Nikon TTL-aware remote flash unit....
Flashpoint R1

Thats what i have on the hotshoe and connected to my flash when the popup flash was trying to come up.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

manaheim said:
I'm not sure I see the TTL system as the tail wagging the dog. It's a very well-designed system that works extremely well in a lot of average situations.

This seems like a very non-average situation. Which flash will be the main? Which will be the fill? He mentions he has a Flashpoint Li-on flash, and they make both manual AND TTL models of that...

zoom li-on flash Buy or Learn at Adorama

I dunno...I'm personally not fond of allowing a tiny pop-up flash and then an off-brand speedlight setting my lighting ratios on a shot-to-shot basis...hence tail wagging the dog. I personally think that using OFF-camera flash and ON-camera TTL flash is not the way to learn how to do lighting.

For ONE-flash, connected-to-camera shots, sure, TTL flash is fine. Most of the time. But hey, whatevs...

If you say so.

I can tolerate TTL for one light setups if necessary, but for two or more there's so much fiddling around with FEC that it just doesn't seem worth it. I really think that plain, old manual flash is the easiest way to learn and work.

If you say so.

I actually have 34 years' worth of Nikon TTL flash experience. I bought my first Speedotron professional lighting system while in college, in 1986. I am actually reading the OP's posts carefully, trying to add some actual VALUE, and some EXPLANATION of well-understood flash basics. How about you?

How can you not seem to grok that he has an OFF-camera flash, and remote transmitter, and a pipsqueak pop-up flash is popping up, unexpectedly, all the time?

I sure expect better behavior from a moderator than what you are exhibiting, Chris.

Your smart-alecky attitude is not very much appreciated...

Last edited:
Hokay folks... let's all take a deep breath. There are multiple approaches to every situation, and the great thing about art is that there is no 'right' or 'wrong'.

I'm just trying to figure out if what im doing wrong. I bought that flash cuz it kept popping up when i was looking for flashes before I bought my camera because I knew I wanted to buy the flash with the camera. I'm just trying to learn is all. I kept seeing good reviews online when I researched that flash. Thats why I bought it. I'm just a guy who wants to get good at a hobby,and any help to reach that goal is appreciated

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

When the ambient light in a room is green (from fluorescents) and you’re using a green gel on your flash, with the fluorescent light (FL) balance selected on your camera, you will achieve balanced lighting, or all white. White balance, at FL, adjusts the value by 33 units of magenta, which is what is needed to cancel the green effect.

9 Solutions to Balance the Light from a Flash with Fluorescent Light
flash photography tips - Digital Camera World
Flash Photography Basics: A Crash Course
21 Tips For Better Flash Photography

I will definitely shoot flash in manual from here on out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get on YouTube and subscribe to Adorama and BH camera channels. There are some top rated 'flash' videos on there from some of the best 'strobists' working today.

Does high-speed sync depend more on the camera or flash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does high-speed sync depend more on the camera or flash?
High speed sync is a function of the shutter in the camera. Modern electronic strobe flashes make a very short-duration flash of light, even on full power. It is the job of the shutter to "know" when the flash is happening so it will be open when the flash happens. Naturally, both devices still need to communicate the timing of the flash for that to work properly.

If your main goal is studio portraiture, you will have no need to consider high speed sync (HSS). Just keep using the maximum sync speed of your shutter (or slower) and whatever the flash does will be captured in your photo. So on most cameras typically the sync speed is 1/250 second. You can use that or slower (longer time open) and the flash will "freeze" normal motion. Going faster that the sync speed (say 1/500 second or faster) will give you a partially-exposed frame (part of it will be dark).

If you say so.

I actually have 34 years' worth of Nikon TTL flash experience. I bought my first Speedotron professional lighting system while in college, in 1986. I am actually reading the OP's posts carefully, trying to add some actual VALUE, and some EXPLANATION of well-understood flash basics. How about you?

How can you not seem to grok that he has an OFF-camera flash, and remote transmitter, and a pipsqueak pop-up flash is popping up, unexpectedly, all the time?

I sure expect better behavior from a moderator than what you are exhibiting, Chris.

Your smart-alecky attitude is not very much appreciated...

I said "If you say so", and I meant it. I said that because I realized mid-stream that I wasn't really in a position to argue the point.

As I say all the time... and now I will remind you... the appropriate response to dealing with someone who you feel is out of line... is to report them. That stands for moderators as it does for anyone.

And picking a fight with a moderator is not only not a great plan... It's against policy. If you would like to discuss further, you may drop me a PM. Otherwise we'll consider this issue closed.

Most reactions

Back