Flash Question

Yeah it should be fine. I routinely bounce at least that much if not more with the camera tilted on its side going off of a wall. Even if it was a stretch I'd still get the 400 for a D40 anyways, because the SB-600/800 flashes handle so ridiculously poorly on the 40. The camera becomes very top-heavy and imbalanced and the feel is very unnatural and awkward. For any prolonged shooting, it'll suck. The SB-400 is great and nearly weightless though, so no problem.

Sorry R0TT3NBURIT0. I don't mean to hijack your thread. Just one last response to Mav if you don't mind.

I should clarify on the 6'-8' specification. My ceiling peaks at ~15'. So i guess distance would depend on my shooting level. I'd be shooting my little dog a lot, so I would probably be lying down on the floor a lot. As for bouncing off the side wall, I was under the impression the SB400 only rotated up or down. I know I could shoot vertically to accomodate that, but the room is also very wide so I would normally be the originally specified 6'-8' foot away from a side wall. The other caveat is that my side walls are a dark grey. Do you still fell confident the SB400 would suffice?

Thanks for the tip about weight distribution concern with the other speedlights on the D40. Are there other good brands that would work?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back