Flash question

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I have an old Vivatar external flash however it does not work with my Canon Eos. I've looked at the Speedlites however they are way out of my price range (yeh bout 400.00 outa range). So what generic flashes are available for my camera (Eos Elan 7e film). I can only spend about 100.00 and I don't mind used equipment. Any suggestions?

The Vivitar doesn't work with your camera? That's odd.

I have an old flash, brand name 'Braun'....that works great with either my film EOS or my digital EOS. The key is that it's an auto thyristor flash. Vivitar 283 and similar models are also auto thyristor flashes as well...and would be a great choice. They can be found used...for less than $100.

You could use any old flash (auto or not) but you may have to do some math to figure out how to set your exposure.

One thing to make sure of...is that the flash trigger voltage isn't' higher than the camera...other wise you will fry the circuits.

Here is a list of strobes and their voltages...I don't know the rating of the Elan 7 but you should find out.

It's a good thing I was never able to get that flash to work. The list you provided shows that the Vivatar 283 is not a good match for the Eos.

Ritz Camera either in-store or online has alot of dedicated or non aftermarket flashes that while not a Canon flash will do O.K. for general use.

Most reactions

Back