Flash Question.

New Hampshire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In connection to a thread I started in the equipment section, I recently placed an order for a Canon EOS Elan 7NE. In another thread I read a blurb about pop up flash units being less than spectacular, so......

......If I want to take respectable pictures with a flash, should I be using the Hot Shoe contact and a dedicated flash unit? I have an old Sunpack that I bought years ago for my Pentax. The recharge time stinks (though it could just be the batteries I used), as stated it is old, but it was lightly used. Also, since the dedicated flash unit would ride higher on the camera body, would there be a noticble reduction in red eye? The Sunpack unit is adjustable for 90, 60 and 45 degrees (I believe thats the angles.)

Any comments?

Brian

Yes less redeye. Usually they have more power and more control. I use a 580EX which is a superb flash unit.

You can also rotate tilt and swivel a flash head to bounce it off of surfaces giving a much more natual look and less of that harsh dead look of direct flash.

Excellent! Thanks for the quick replies! I am going to try some brand new batteries in the Sunpack I have to see if that makes a difference on the recharge time. In the end I will probably just pick up a new flash unit anyways.

Thanks!

Brian

Try diffusing the light too. Direct flash is quite harsh. You can buy diffusers like a Sto-Fen Omnibounce or you can create your own from an empty milk carton (believe it or not).

You may want to get a product called th e"Wein Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe Safe Sync". What it does is protect your later flash from overpowering the circuitry of your SLR. The older flashes use much higher voltage flashes. This can be sent back into your camera and blow the ability to use an external flash all together. The product I am describing costs about $50. You're taking a gamble every time you fire your flash otherwise.

http://www.popphoto.com/lighting/360...our-flash.html

It's always better to be safe than sorry. This site has a list of strobes and their trigger voltage. The list was compiled for older film EOS cameras that had a lower threshold. I'm not certain, but I think most of the newer cameras are rated much higher...something like 250v.

Anyway, you can check your flash and find out your camera's rating, to know if it's safe. Or use a safe-sync...or get a Canon unit like the 430EX or 580EX.

yup yup. That's why I stick with Nikon speedlights that I know work flawlessly with my cameras.

Dang, you guys really are the tops! Thanks! I guess I should just pick up a new flash unit regardless. I need to order a few accessories that I forgot with this order, so its not like I have to go out of my way.

Brian

Most reactions

New Topics

Back