Flash recomendation for tight budget

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by mochroi, Oct 3, 2012.

1. mochroi

mochroi TPF Noob!

I'm open to suggestions...and always looking to improve...

2. .SimO.

.SimO. TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  3. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the advantage to craigslist is that you can go look at something before you buy it. If you find a flash on craigslist, you can bring your camera to test it first. Prices can be better on ebay though, because there is more competition. but I prefer to buy locally and look at it in person unless the price difference is big.

• Like Like x 1
  4. .SimO.

.SimO. TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You are the photographer, so take control. Most customers could care less about how the lighting is or if the tones are off completely. They mostly care about the moment, "Oh, do my wrinkles show up", "That is a good angle for me", etc etc. If they are adamant in keeping those, make sure to take others that you approve of as well.

5. mochroi

mochroi TPF Noob!

Yeah...that is what I used with this session...I decided not to use my flash...took a few 'test shots' with the flash and though I'm sure I could have made it work by adjusting, I was working with someone who didn't really like to wait...plus she only spoke spanish...which meant explaining everything to my assistant and then her relaying the information...it was a long session... (may take a few Spanish classes...) I actually made my own reflectors! And they do work...but question...say you are going for very subtle light in a darker area, very much like that last picture, what is the best way to light?

6. mochroi

mochroi TPF Noob!

? What on earth is this??

7. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    YN560 II, 36" shoot through umbrella, and 1 Pocket Wizard Plus3. That will bring it close to $300. YN560 II is a manual flash, it doesn't have iTTL or eTTL but I use several of them for off camera lighting. You just need to learn how to use it.

8. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My recommendation: Buy what your camera manufacturer sells. People will recommend off-brand flashes, however there is always an "Except". As in: "This flash does EVERYTHING the Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony flashes do except .....". Buy what you manufacturer sells (I think you said Canon) and there is no question of compatibility, there is no question of features not working properly, etc.

9. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't buy the off brand flashes until you have at least one, good, dedicated flash by Canon. Then add in all kinds of others for more flexibility. The YN's being a great option for use off camera and to create some amazing looks.

10. mochroi

mochroi TPF Noob!

Gotcha!

11. mochroi

mochroi TPF Noob!

Thanks!

12. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I looked at your facebook. YOu need to first learn how to use the camera, focus and obtain proper exposure and white balance. If you don't lay the proper foundation before you add in flash you will set yourself back
    Here are some tutorials to help you out:
    Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
    I'd say you probably should start with the very first one and do a thorough study of each tutorial. Even if you already know it-you can always learn something new when playing with the very basics.