Flash recomendation for tight budget

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by mochroi, Oct 3, 2012.

1. IByte

IByte No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Also Adorama TV with Mark Wallace are great tutorials for any level of photography.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mochroi

mochroi TPF Noob!

Hey thanks!! And here I was thinking it was just a flash issue...I will watch the tutorials tomorrow!

3. John27

John27 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    There are a lot of people out there who think "Oh, I have an expensive camera, I should be a professional photographer!" and go out there seriously under-equipped and not really knowing what they are doing. One sort of cliche characteristic of this, is using the pop-up flash (You'll notice the professional cameras don't even have a pop up flash).

Everyone has to start somewhere, we all have to learn and gain experience, and it sounds like you are willing to learn, grow, and become more skilled. That puts you about 1000% above some of these fauxtopgraphers who get on here and talk about how they know so much more than the real, successful pros on here (like MLeeK in this thread, and others), and refuse to accept any criticism or advice. Those are the ones that people get sick of hearing from.

That said, be prepared to hear some negative or nasty comments. There are those who don't take kindly to people being paid to do photography work who have not yet mastered the craft and become well equipped. In fact some would say you should NEVER do a wedding without two pro-level camera bodies, top grade lenses, and high end speedlites! Everyone has a different opinion about what the 'minimum' level of skill, equipment, and experience should be required for a person to start charging for their work. Just don't take it personal, learn from these people, and continue to learn and grow in every way you can, you'll do fine.

That's why he made that comment, you should be prepared to be 'flamed' for admitting to using the pop-up flash on a paid portrait session. But like I said, don't take it personal, just keep that excellent attitude of learning and growing and becoming better and better at it!

4. jrizal

jrizal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Granted the OP has not mastered his skills and has supposedly "inadequate" equipment and yet he is being paid to take photos already says something. Just me :)

PS1 Since the OP has a budget of $300 he can get a decent Canon Speedlite Amazon.com: Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo or go for a Yong Nuo http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...8&qid=1354653386&sr=1-1&keywords=youngo flash for $80 and use the rest to buy lighting related equipment. And since he is willing to learn, he will definitely go far. ;)

PS 2 An inexpensive pop-up flash diffuser can also be a nifty solution for the OP on top of the above.

Amazon.com: Universal SLR Built-in Pop-up Flash Diffuser: Camera & Photo

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  5. bunny99123

bunny99123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

If bought on the net, I would go with a photo site such as B&H so you would have a warranty. I agree to try and buy local, so you can test it out. Hard to get money back once it goes out.