Flash - remote trigger for hand-held

I

Iron Flatline

Hi all.

I want to use flash, and have a lot to learn about it. One thing I'm pretty sure about is that I want to hand-hold my flash rather than mounting it directly on top of my camera.

What remote trigger system do you recommend? I would prefer something wireless - in the 1980s I worked with a cord, but would prefer not having to do that again.

I own a Speedlight 580 EX and a 220 EX, and will be working with a Canon 5D or a D60.

Shooting kids and people, mainly in party environments.

Pocket Wizard is the wireless system that I see recommended most often...they are expensive but that is subjective.

You could get the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 which will wirelessly trigger your flashes.

I understand wanting to get the flash off the camera, But I am recommending something else. I just got Gary Fong's Lightsphere II cloud. One of the best investments I have made. I don't really like alot of his tactics, but this is a nice product. You can check out a short video of him using it on his website. It just made a huge difference with my flash photography. The wedding I have posted in the Weddings and Portraits thread was shot with the SB-800 and Lightsphere. Just something to think about.

I've got an ST-E2, It works great as long as you don't use it in Direct sunlight. You could always just buy another Speedlite as well, the 420ex 550ex 430ex and the 580ex can all be triggered by a 550ex or a 580ex.

KevinR said:
I understand wanting to get the flash off the camera, But I am recommending something else. I just got Gary Fong's Lightsphere II cloud. One of the best investments I have made. I don't really like alot of his tactics, but this is a nice product. You can check out a short video of him using it on his website. It just made a huge difference with my flash photography. The wedding I have posted in the Weddings and Portraits thread was shot with the SB-800 and Lightsphere. Just something to think about.
Looks interesting, but I travel a LOT internationally - that thing looks too big for me to throw in my carry-on. I have something less sophisticated called a Lumiquest Promax Mini softbox. It folds really flat.

B00009R8DT.01-A1PY46IM1CBEG3._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's still directional, and not as good as the Lightsphre, but creates a larger more diffuse light-source than the flash itself.

Ya know, it is smaller than it looks. It fit in my camera bag without rearranging things. And that surprised me. It is pretty flexible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back