Flash Stick on a Monopod - What equipment needed?

Brand000n

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
composeclick.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I do wedding photography and want to make a flash stick out of a monopod so that an assistant can carry it around for off-camera flash.

So first thing is I need a monopod that has a threaded screw thing on both sides (because I was it to be able to be carried be the sturdier wider end). How would I be able to know that both ends are able to attach things to them? Like as in what terminology to they put into the ads to say this? I just went to look at a monopod (it was a Oben ACM-2400) and unfortunately the skinny end didn't have a threaded end on it.

After getting this sorted out, would it be ok to just attach a yongnuo trigger (like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ger&qid=1445318322&ref_=sr_1_2&s=photo&sr=1-2) to it, or is there any additional adapters needed? Any help appreciated!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Top ought to have a 1/4" x 20 National Coarse threaded male fitting. Bottom ought to have either a 1/4 or 3/8 inch female receptacle, into which you would probably thread a male "spigot", or thread a flash hot- or cold shoe into, for speedlight mounting.

What Derrel said. OR... get this and attach it a standard painter's pole. You can then attach an umbrella bracket, Lastolite-style speedlight softbox, etc directly to it, and it's much lighter and easier for the VAL* to carry. If you spend the extra money for the good pole, it will easily extend to 12' and not bend/flex.

*Voice-activated light-stand.

I agree with John,

A painter's pole would likely be a much more robust solution.

the bottom of the little flash stand that came with your flash has a screw hole that fits your monopod.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I ended up going to a local camera store and I found a thing by RPS Studio that's just called a hand-held extension handle. I'm concerned with how durable the clamps are gonna be but for about $35 I'm not complaining.

looks like that will work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back