Flash that works with Nikon?

Bubbles22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I mostly use natural light but sometimes that is not an option. Mostly because I'm still learning! I love my sb-800. But my budget is much smaller now. I need maybe one to two more speed lights to be able to take good portraits inside. I used a cactus radio trigger right now. I have looked at the strobist website and they talk about a brand but I'm still such a noob that I'm not sure they will work with what I have now. If I use my radio triggers which what I plan on doing what are some good flash units for a cheaper price that would work with what I have now. I have a D3100 so I don't have the commander mode on my camera so I know I have to use manual to shoot from unless I use my sb-800. Hopefully my question is clear. What is a good flash that would work with my set up I have now. I need them to be right at or under $100. I just don't want to buy something that is going to break after I pay for it.

I bought a perfect Vivitar 285 on ebay for $30, a new one from BHPHOTO for $87 and they work fantastic with my manual PW triggers.

I have the 285hv's as well. I personally like my older sb's. Easier to fit accessories on. The sb's recycle quicker. Don't get me wrong. My vivitars work great. They are just huge! Lol. Do you have modifiers?

I have looked at the strobist website and they talk about a brand but I'm still such a noob that I'm not sure they will work with what I have now. If I use my radio triggers which what I plan on doing what are some good flash units for a cheaper price that would work with what I have now.
Any brand that has a standard hot shoe foot will work.

Sony uses an odd-ball, non-standard hot shoe design.

I personally like my older sb's.
Which older sb's do you have? I see some on my local CL at times. Sometimes I wonder if I should jump on them. I have an umbrella right now but that is it.

One more vote for the Vivitar 285hv. It's true that most any will do, but this is the best bang for the buck. Powerful light for cheap price.

I will look into the vivitar 285hv. When I was looking this flash up most people had good reviews. Has anyone used the LumpPro LP160. Anyone else like other flashes that aren't an arm and a leg?
[h=3][/h]

Bubbles22 said:
Which older sb's do you have? I see some on my local CL at times. Sometimes I wonder if I should jump on them. I have an umbrella right now but that is it.

Sb24 and 28's. The vivitars are cool too

Most reactions

New Topics

Back