Flash trigger to adjust manual flash setting

juicegoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently use the cowboy studio remote setup for my two flashes(yn560 III, and sb-600). This works although to adjust the settings of the flash i have to go over to each flash and adjust it manually. Is there a flash trigger that will change the settings of these flashes available? I shoot with them in manual mode.

I believe that you can use the Nikon CLS (wireless flash system) and have control over the manual power settings of your slave flashes. I don't know if your YN will work in that system...and I don't know if your camera (on it's own) will act as a master for the slaves.

Another option is the Pocket Wizard CTL (control the light) system. You would need a PW 'TT' units for the camera and each flash...and that won't come cheap.

I use YN-622C triggers w/ a YN-568EX flash on Canon. I believe there's a Nikon version of that same trigger. I've had good luck with my setup.

do the yn-622c triggers allow adjustment of trigger power from teh camera?

I can change flash power using FEC -- flash exposure compensation when the flash is in ETTL mode. This doesn't give me absolute power settings, but it allows more or less flash power wirelessly via the trigger. I'm not sure how directly that translates to Nikon and your speedlights, but it's a great deal more convenient for me vs. full manual. I haven't actually tried FEC with a manual power setting on the speedlight, but I suspect the power setting on the speedlight would override FEC.

Triggers are just that, triggers. When in manual mode, that's what you have, Manual. What you are looking for is usually going to be something that it made by the manufacturer of the flash units you are using unless you are in TTL mode. Those generally are made for studio strobes, not flash units.

So your pocketwizards and such dont allow you have a flash set on manual(assuming are using pocketwizard trans and rec) and then control the manual flash power through the trans?

The Phottix Odin system will allow you to make all your adjustments at the TCU mounted on the camera hotshoe. I've got the sytem with 3 receivers and it works beautifully! You mount your flashes to the receivers and set the flashes and camera to TTL...you can then switch the flash modes to manual OR TTL and make +/- adjustments right at the camera using the TCU.

Since you have a SB 600 I'm going to assume you have a Nikon.

You can get better control of your SB 600 with a nikon SU-800
SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander from Nikon

I use one with 3 flashes - SB800 and 700 units.
They go used on eBay for about $150
There are also other options to the SU800 such as a unit by PocketWizard and other brands, such as Yungnuo

There is no need for a radio trigger unless you want to add Radio Triggers, such as the Pocket Wizard or any other compatible ones like the YN 662, such as in this video
PocketWizard® - Using your Nikon SU-800 as a Master Controller

as for your 560 III - check your documentation, or compatibility charts somewhere.
There's multiple options here such as using your built in Commander mode if you have a d7000 or higher but without knowing your equipment we can't give you more info. The better radio triggers also transmit CLS (I don't have one).

I'm sure this system mentioned works great too
The Phottix Odin system will allow you to make all your adjustments at the TCU mounted on the camera hotshoe. I've got the sytem with 3 receivers and it works beautifully! You mount your flashes to the receivers and set the flashes and camera to TTL...you can then switch the flash modes to manual OR TTL and make +/- adjustments right at the camera using the TCU.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back