Flash Triggering Opinions

JaronRH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jhorstphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering what people use for off-camera flash triggering and why they choose their given method. I'm currently trying to figure out what the best way to move forward is and could really use some insight!

My main setup is 2xSB-600's and a SB-700 triggered by CLS/AWS (D90/D700). While the results have been good, I've had 2 issues (in order):
1) I want a 3rd lighting group! 2 groups aren't giving me enough control for indoor portraits.
2) I sometimes have issues with triggering outdoors (line-of-sight doesn't guarantee anything and the pre-flash is giving me some blinkers!)

Explored Options:

Phottix Odin Wireless TTL Flash Trigger:
[Would solve both issues]
Pros:
- Radio Triggers! No line of sigh issues (would open up a whole new world of lighting setups as I would no longer be limited by line-of-sight!).
- Updateable
- Full TTL support as well as mix-n-match TTL/M groups (SB-700 would require all M or TTL)
- 3 groups!
- AA batteries.
- Can be mixed with their manual triggers (cheaper)
- FP support (up to 1/8000 sync speed)
Cons:
- Price! Would cost $590 for 3 receivers and a transmitter.
- Expensive for what it does!
- Proprietary system (and no guarantee for updates)
- New product. Hasn't been around as long as others (PW's and RadioPoppers)

Nikon SU-800:
[Would only solve 1st issue and part of 2nd (preflash)]
Pros:
- Cheaper alternative!
- 3 groups
- Full iTTL compatability
- Mixed mode support (TTL/M)
- [supposibly] better range then using a commander flash
Cons:
- Infra-red communication
- Odd 3v battery
- Expensive for what it does!

RadioPoppers and PW's:
Out of my price range. I also don't like the need for a separate AC3 controller!

RF-603's:
I have a set of RF-603's (that I use mainly as remote shutter releases!) but I don't care for adjusting my flashes individually. I rather adjust flashes from the camera as its faster and keeps clients from getting bored between shots.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I don't know anything about the Phottix products. There have been a plethora of new wireless TTL products hitting the market lately...it's hard to know what's out there.

I do know that many pros use and rely on Pocket Wizards or Radio Poppers. They may be expensive but as professional tools, it's usually better to lean towards quality and reliability than to save a few bucks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back