Flash? Where do I start?

MommyOf4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, Guys!

I finally feel comfortable with really understanding the camera and having a grasp on the basics to move onto something else. Here's the thing, I have read many books and watched many tutorials all on photography basics. I have not even scratched the surface of flash or lighting and I'm a little intimidated. I dont yet even own an off camera flash! I was looking to get a Canon 430 EX (I have a T3i). Is that all I need to start? Is that a good place to start?

So, the point of this post is you guys are the best with helpful links and info, do you have anything that will help me? I have NO IDEA what I'm doing with flash. Nothing. At. All. Any books, tutorials, advice that will help me get started? Thanks :)

www,strobist.com
Right hand side, drop down menu... 101 archive and go forward!

This is one for Canon flash: Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras - Part I. . There are three parts to this "tutorial". The link to each successive one can be found at the end of each site. NK Guy, who authored these sites, turned the whole thing into a thick book that you can see at the top right of this first site - not a bad book, but has a lot of detail that the learner probably does not need.

Syl Arena has done 4 sites on Speedlites for Canon systems. This is the link to Part 1:Canon Professional Network - Getting the most from Speedlites (Pt. 1): Controls & modes . Links to the other three can be found on the right side of this link under the heading - Related Links (scroll down a bit). He has turned this series into a book: Amazon.com: Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites (9780321711052): Syl Arena: Books . I haven't read this one yet, but it sits on my shelf just waiting to be picked - I will do that in the next few weeks.

As far as the 430EX goes, it is a good beginners flash. If you can afford it, go for the 430EX II. It has some advantages of the 430 EX: - 20% faster recyle time; metal foot instead of a plastic one; 9 custom functions vs 6 for the Mark I unit; silent recycling; new locking mechanism for rapid mounting onto a camera or stand; and a few others. Of course, if you think that you might be doing a lot of flash, then I would go for the 580 EX II, which is Canon's top-of-the-line flash unit.

HTH. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi, Guys!

I finally feel comfortable with really understanding the camera and having a grasp on the basics to move onto something else. Here's the thing, I have read many books and watched many tutorials all on photography basics. I have not even scratched the surface of flash or lighting and I'm a little intimidated. I dont yet even own an off camera flash! I was looking to get a Canon 430 EX (I have a T3i). Is that all I need to start? Is that a good place to start?

So, the point of this post is you guys are the best with helpful links and info, do you have anything that will help me? I have NO IDEA what I'm doing with flash. Nothing. At. All. Any books, tutorials, advice that will help me get started? Thanks :)

Once you get the flash, learn how to use fill flash.

Then learn how to light by bouncing the flash.

Then you'll be ready to start using off camera flash.

And learn to use manual flash too. There's a tutorial for it in my signature.

The 430EX II is a good flash. Ability to shoot in both ETTL and manual. Your T3i has remote flash control built in, so you can use the 430 EX II as a slave, or off-camera flash.

The good news is, getting an external flash opens up a whole world of opportunity. The bad news is, it a big, big world. Use the links you got to start exploring it. There's a lot to learn, but it gives you very rewarding results once you get the basics down. Post some for us when you get there!

Thanks, Everyone! I'm taking in everything and I'm sure I'll be back once I get started with lots of annoying questions lol...Aren't you all lucky ;)

Thanks for posting this stuff, guys. I was getting around to asking the same question.

Strobist is a fine site, no mistake about that. But have you read the flash instruction manual? Do you really understand HOW to "use it", in the practical, basic sense? It's not entirely clear how much or how little you know about the 430EX and how to use it. I'd start with the manual and make sure to become fully familiarized with ALL the operational nuances of the flash. Then, use it for a while. Make some pictures using the flash. After you can do that, then it's time to think about moving the flash off-camera.

Strobist is a fine site, no mistake about that. But have you read the flash instruction manual? Do you really understand HOW to "use it", in the practical, basic sense? It's not entirely clear how much or how little you know about the 430EX and how to use it. I'd start with the manual and make sure to become fully familiarized with ALL the operational nuances of the flash. Then, use it for a while. Make some pictures using the flash. After you can do that, then it's time to think about moving the flash off-camera.

I have read nothing. A tiny bit on that site last night but, my daughter woke up so I was cut short. That was literally the very first thing I have ever read on the subject. I dont know HOW it works or WHEN to use it. So start on camera? Ok. I havnt bought yet I was just going to start reading and getting a feel for what I need to know. Is that even possible without one? Can I practice with the pop up flash on my camera or no?

MommyOf4 said:
I have read nothing. A tiny bit on that site last night but, my daughter woke up so I was cut short. That was literally the very first thing I have ever read on the subject. I dont know HOW it works or WHEN to use it. So start on camera? Ok. I havnt bought yet I was just going to start reading and getting a feel for what I need to know. Is that even possible without one? Can I practice with the pop up flash on my camera or no?

The only thing you could really practice with your pop up flash is like fill light. The speedlight is a lot different - different settings you can use and it probably has a swivel head so you can bounce it. You don't want to flash people directly in the face which is what your pop-up will do.

Most reactions

Back