Flash with D700

FlyingScot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HELP Please.

Will my old but good Cullman DC36 flash work with my Nikon D700?

Tis TTL + Auto + Manual with a Tilt and Zoom Head.

Dug it out of the attic put some new batteries in it and it flashes fine not tried it on a 35 mm film Nikon yet BUT when put on the D700 i got one flash picture then the D700 will not take another with the flash powered on the flash indicator is flashing in the viewfinder and shutter is locked came is set up to only take in focus pictures ( pic was in focus)

Thanks for any advice or help

Even suggestions as to which Nikon flash to get just in case this wont work with my D700

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

That flash unit will not be likely to communicate with your D700 for using TTL or auto, but it should work fine in manual mode. If the zoom is a motor in the head the zoom will also only work in manual mode.

The only speedlights that will communicate in all modes with the D700 are Nikon's SB-xxx flash units.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

That flash unit will not be likely to communicate with your D700 for using TTL or auto, but it should work fine in manual mode. If the zoom is a motor in the head the zoom will also only work in manual mode.

The only speedlights that will communicate in all modes with the D700 are Nikon's SB-xxx flash units.

With the flash on and powered up in any mode the D700 camera says no thanks - the flash icon in viewfinder is flashing and shutter wont function - seems strange that it worked once and now wont....flash is ok on test on my Nikon F-301 in all modes not processed the film just checked that it did flash - Zoom Tilt and Rotate is all done by a BIG human hand.

D700 knows the flash is there as with Auto ISO set on camera with the flash switched off in my dull study it selects 2000 ASA with the flash powered on and charged ISO is 280 ASA :-(

Last edited:
WELL what do you know Today the flash is working fine wont do TTL on the D700 but expecting that of flash of that generation was stretching things a bit far. I am not 100% sure if the flash or the Camera is/was the problem but do i really care IT'S WORKING :) And looking at the specs of a SB 900 it does so much more than i want or need maybe i just need the smallest Nikon SB flash since all i really need it for is fill in flash and the 'occasional evening group picture' though i suppose i can just wind up the ISO for that and do it by moonlight/candle light :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back