Flash wont fire with off-brand lens

cbrown222

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody!

I'm here for some help. I recently bought a Nikon D90, and I love it. It's perfect for what I want and I love it. I have three nikon lenses, which all work fine with my on-camera flash and my SB-400 flash. I just bought a Bower 8mm Fisheye lens for skateboarding pictures and parkour pictures. It's fine for taking pictures outside but I'm worried for pictures at night and in low light because at f/3.5 it's kinda slow. I love my SB-400, and wanted to use it with this, but everytime I pop up the on camera flash or turn my SB-400 on my camera just wont take a picture. I'm not sure why it wont but if anyone could help that would be awesome.

Thanks a lot to anyone who helps!

What if you set the SB400 to manual instead of TTL mode?

The Bower is a full manual lens and you will have to set your flash manually in order to use it with that lens. There is no TTL metering for the flash to go on.

PS: How do you like the lens? For that cheap I have thought about picking one up a few times for fun stuff.

PS: How do you like the lens? For that cheap I have thought about picking one up a few times for fun stuff.

It's a little too fun. I love it though. It's pretty sharp, but up close a lot of stuff that should be in focus isn't but >3 feet back is fine. It's a lot wider than you think, so you need to get close with it. I know that Ken Rockwell has a review on it on his website. Compared to the Nikon 10.5 feature-wise I don't think that paying ~$400 more for the Nikon justifies auto-focus and metering. I'm more than happy with this lens and for the price if you want it, you should get it. Here are some pictures with it: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/269068-fisheye-parkour-pictures.html#post2452650

Relevance: Manual flash worked, I can't thank you guys enough.

Most reactions

Back