Flashes?

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at buying a flash for my 20d.

I'm a man on a budget here... and I know next to NOTHING about flashes... so what is your advice on the flashes out there?

Is it even worth buying if you spend $150-$200? (that's my price range)
Or, would you just save more and get a better one?

I'll only be using it for weddings/portraits etc...

Thanks,
-Chris

I bought a promaster flash, for around $180, and it works just fine. I made a homemade diffuser for it, and have gotten lots of great results. If you are going to be relying on it heavily for a lot of your work, then I'd say save up and get something made by Canon, to get the most of the E-TTL.

I only use it occasionally, so I couldn't justify spending $500 on a flash.

I bought a old 'Braun Vario-zoom' at a swap meet. It's an auto thyristor flash, similar to the famous Vivitar 283, or 285. It's not a versatile as a dedicated Canon flash...but once you learn how to use it...it works like a charm.

You can also look at 3rd party flashes that are 'dedicated' for Canon. Look at Sunpak or Metz etc.

The trigger voltage on the 20D is listed at 250v...check this site which units may or may not be safe.

If it were my money, I would probably go out and pick up a used 420ex or 550ex, they only have E-TTL (not E-TTL2) but you won't run into any compatability issues and should you choose to upgrade to a 580ex you can use them as slaves. (IMHO or Course)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back