Flashpioint 320M

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saw a thread where Derrell recommended these and was wondering what all I'd need to get a basic setup with 2 of these for my D7000. We are having a newborn in August and I'd like to have a setup and take some pix of the wife before she comes! I saw a kit on adorama, but not sure what all is neccessary. I'm bout to go nose deep in lighting research tonight but wanna order these asap if I can get pointed in the right direction. I'm sure I need some sort of softbox/umbrella and stand with them, and a way to fire them? :confused:

Typically you will need a stand for each monolight you buy. They have built-in stand / umbrella adapters, so you won't need those. You will also need a modifier of some sort for each light... anything from umbrellas or brollys, to softboxes. Just remember that the larger the modifier, the softer the light (usually). I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 44" to 46"... and a brolly will probably do better for you than straight umbrellas... and be cheaper than good softboxes (to start out with). The following in 46" or 60" is highly recommended... very nice light

Photek SL5000 Softlighter II, Umbrella with Diffuser SL5000

The Flashpoint 320M's have built in optical slaves that can be fired by another flash (your pop-up, or any other flash).

Great lights for the money, btw! :)

I have one that I like and I use with a 60 inch Octabox.

They rock, don't they? ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Keith,

That kit has the really cheap little budget flashes in it... not the 320's! Are you recommending that one?

Flashpoint BF160 Budget Studio Monolight Flash 160 Watt BF160

I don't know anything about those flashes... so I can't say much.....

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You'll love those lights

They also have 320M kits, but I didn't see one to link to right away. 160 ws of strobe light power is enough for doing in the home type lighting of mom and the baby.

Last edited:
I have two Mettle 300C (300w/s), which are the Chinese brand which manufactures for certain Adorama's flashpoint series, including the 320m. These flashes really are very good, and well built. Look on ebay for Mettle brand lights and kits, you may find a better deal.

unpopular said:
I have two Mettle 300C (300w/s), which are the Chinese brand which manufactures for certain Adorama's flashpoint series, including the 320m. These flashes really are very good, and well built. Look on ebay for Mettle brand lights and kits, you may find a better deal.

I think the fp ii series can use the battery pack just an FYI. Not sure if the first version can.

They also have 320M kits, but I didn't see one to link to right away. 160 ws of strobe light power is enough for doing in the home type lightingof mom and the baby.

IRIC, 320m's are only 150w/s
Yes, I believe that is correct. The lights I linked to are advertised as 160 ws though.

The Mettles have a Bowens mount instead of whatever the flashpoints use. I'm happy with mine.

Last edited:
Mike_E said:
The Mettles have a Bowens mount instead of whatever the flashpoints use. I'm happy with mine.

Do they support a battery pack ?

Most reactions

Back