Flashpoint Budget Studio | Feedback/Thoughts?

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into making my first studio strobe purchase and while browsing around the Flashpoint line on Adorama (it's been recommended as a good place to start...) I stumbled upon the Flashpoint Budget Studio line of strobes. In a quick comparison between the $100 Flashpoint 320 (150 w/s?) and the strobe linked below the main differences are that the Budget Studio version is 300 w/s but you give up 1 stop of range.

Flashpoint Budget Studio Monolight Flash, 300 Watt Seconds BF-300W

Any thoughts, recommendations, or feedback on these?

Thanks!

I have the 120ws. More power than I actually needed at the time. I took pictures of a collection with my speedlight on the other side. Turned both of them way down.

I have the 120ws. More power than I actually needed at the time. I took pictures of a collection with my speedlight on the other side. Turned both of them way down.

Hmmm...Any reasons you would recommend someone go with something else? I'm just getting started into a multiple light setup and would like to learn before really investing a lot. Sounds like this might be a perfect starter strobe!

For the money you could get two of the 120's.

I realize that the 300 is over twice the power, but my point was that the 120 has plenty of power. If you need 300ws, then get that one.

For the money you could get two of the 120's.

I realize that the 300 is over twice the power, but my point was that the 120 has plenty of power. If you need 300ws, then get that one.

That was exactly what I was thinking. The only issue that I can foresee (maybe?) is if I'm outdoors and need the flash to compete with the sun a little bit (eventually I would like to do some "on location" shoots). But, that might be asking too much of an entry level, budget friendly strobe. I would guess I'd need to be somewhere in the 500-600 ws range for that, right?

I don't know what you would need.

I recommend that you talk with the folks at Adorama and ask them.

I don't know what you would need.

I recommend that you talk with the folks at Adorama and ask them.
Will do. Thanks for your help! You've answered my question and I'll probably be snagging one or two of these to get started.

Thanks again!

I've had my flashpoints for about a year now. I have the 320m and the 620m, so 150ws and 300ws I believe. I've never taken them outside so I can't help there, but I have found even the 320 to be enough power for me for individuals and I've mostly been using a reflector for fill. I used the 620 as a main for the large group of 8 I did, on full power, about 7-9 feet away. My settings were Iso 200, 1/200 and f 7.1. So I'd you have some Iso leeway in your camera then you'd probably be able to make the 320 work. Depends on what you'll be shoowing I suppose. The 620 has a fan which is nice, but it still gets pretty hot!

160w/sec is enough indoors. if you need more power, you can go from 100 to 200 iso and effectively double the rating.

outdoors in sun you won't really be able to overpower the sun.

Last edited:
I've had my flashpoints for about a year now. I have the 320m and the 620m, so 150ws and 300ws I believe. I've never taken them outside so I can't help there, but I have found even the 320 to be enough power for me for individuals and I've mostly been using a reflector for fill. I used the 620 as a main for the large group of 8 I did, on full power, about 7-9 feet away. My settings were Iso 200, 1/200 and f 7.1. So I'd you have some Iso leeway in your camera then you'd probably be able to make the 320 work. Depends on what you'll be shoowing I suppose. The 620 has a fan which is nice, but it still gets pretty hot!

Good to know! Thanks!

160w/sec is enough indoors. if you need more power, you can go from 100 to 200 osi and effectively double the rating.

I'm assuming "osi" = ISO?

Thanks for the feedback!

yeah. a 160 watt/sec strobe at 200iso is essentially a 320 watt/sec strobe at 100iso.

Well, that's easy enough to remember. :)

Thanks again!

Good to know! Thanks!

160w/sec is enough indoors. if you need more power, you can go from 100 to 200 osi and effectively double the rating.

I'm assuming "osi" = ISO?

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes sir! *Iso would be what I meant. I'm mobile for the rest of the month and can never type on this darn thing!

Excellent! Thanks again for the responses! I just picked up the Budget Studio 120 ws version and a new light stand for it. Can't wait to get it here and start experimenting! :)

Excellent! Thanks again for the responses! I just picked up the Budget Studio 120 ws version and a new light stand for it. Can't wait to get it here and start experimenting! :)
Did you order any modifiers for it?

Most reactions

Back