Flawless Shade- PDX Drag Performer

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Flawless Shade, a 6'4 drag queen who was hired to attend a hair salon event that I photographed a couple of months ago. Her job was literally to just be there and look sassy and beautiful while people learned about hair products. Could you imagine if that was your job? I think I could do it, but maybe I'm just a little too sassy. ;-P

Anyways, after the event I asked her to get a drink with me at a bar near the salon, and we were able to become quick friends. Since I had my camera with me after the event, I asked if I could take a photo of her that was a little more intentional, opposed to the candid photos I took at the event. She agreed, so we went across the street from the bar and I took this photo. It was night time and I don't own a flash, so I used the available lighting in downtown Portland. The lighting for this shot came from a window display as the main light, and an overhanging neon sign for a hair-light.

Canon 5D Classic // Canon ef 85mm f/1.8 lens, set to f/1.8 // 1/60th sec // ISO 1250

dcupwms-d1c07813-efec-4089-9a16-429185b80feb.jpg

I like the shadows your use of available and directional light created. Very nice.
Thank you! I love the challenge of available and natural light. I think there are so many possibilities for different beautiful lighting (as there are with flash and modifiers as well, but I don't have any of those).

A little intrigued here. Though I find your treatment of the face and it's obvious illusion to being unreal good and would (I presume) be in keeping with how she sees herself, I can't help noticing that it jars against the more awkward (almost JW "Venus De Milo") and more realistically portrayed pose in isolation (Hopper?). There seems to be a conflict in your image between the model's projection of herself and the reality you capture, an almost tragic acceptance that to be herself she must pretend.

Revealing, but personal. I'm intrigued if this is just my reading or bias.

Last edited:
A little intrigued here. Though I find your treatment of the face and it's obvious illusion to being unreal good and would (I presume) be in keeping with how she sees herself, I can't help noticing that it jars against the more awkward (almost JW "Venus De Milo") and more realistically portrayed pose in isolation (Hopper?). There seems to be a conflict in your image between the model's projection of herself and the reality you capture, an almost tragic acceptance that to be herself she must pretend.

Revealing, but personal. I'm intrigued if this is just my reading or bias.
I appreciate your perspective. I didn't get that reading from it; to me I see a very "plastic doll" sort of pose, and think the makeup style goes really well with it.

Stunning! I wish I could get photos like that with just the light available.

We used to have a local Liza impersonator who stood 6'3" without her 6" heels.

Stunning! I wish I could get photos like that with just the light available.

We used to have a local Liza impersonator who stood 6'3" without her 6" heels.
Wow, that's pretty impressive!

You absolutely can, it just takes some practice.

I might have adjusted the vantage point slightly to try to eliminate that red shape to the right of the skirt and the white shape near the elbow and keep those out of the frame (or behind the skirt/subject). Looking at it I feel like I want to place the subject to have a darker area on each side of the skirt to separate it more because the background seems to compete a little with the pattern on the skirt.

I think the hands seem a bit awkward, and might have been better resting slightly on the side/stomach part of the abdomen or on the hips; they seem a bit suspended.

I like that the subject is placed forward into the light with the darker background behind. You always use existing light so well and see the potential in a scene with the light that's available.

I see a very "plastic doll" sort of pose, and think the makeup style goes really well with it.

Yes, it does. I was going to say "almost robotic" but it's difficult sometimes to say something in a few words on the internet without mis-understanding. I was intrigued because the idea has suggestions of conforming rather than individuality. That was all.

I might have adjusted the vantage point slightly to try to eliminate that red shape to the right of the skirt and the white shape near the elbow and keep those out of the frame (or behind the skirt/subject). Looking at it I feel like I want to place the subject to have a darker area on each side of the skirt to separate it more because the background seems to compete a little with the pattern on the skirt.

I think the hands seem a bit awkward, and might have been better resting slightly on the side/stomach part of the abdomen or on the hips; they seem a bit suspended.

I like that the subject is placed forward into the light with the darker background behind. You always use existing light so well and see the potential in a scene with the light that's available.
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. All of those points would make for a better shot!

Last edited:
I see a very "plastic doll" sort of pose, and think the makeup style goes really well with it.

Yes, it does. I was going to say "almost robotic" but it's difficult sometimes to say something in a few words on the internet without mis-understanding. I was intrigued because the idea has suggestions of conforming rather than individuality. That was all.
I love hearing people's perspectives on photos. Thank you for commenting sir.

Most reactions

Back