Flic film?

Himm, I just found out about Flic Film here in Canada ... these people are really supporting the film photographers !!
Hmmm. Sorry but they seem to be wholesalers to the Canadian market. That's it. They don' t "make" film or anything else they sell. Wonder if their products show up at, say, Downtown Camera in TO?Don't like the elaborate sign-in procedure just find out pricing. Liked the dump next to their store if you Google their address. Film Photography Project in the US seems to have beat them to the punch. Am I missing something?

Another repackage company. I guess that is a good thing (?), sorry but I'm rolling my eyes now.

Another repackage company. I guess that is a good thing (?), sorry but I'm rolling my eyes now.
Yup. In Canada it seems the film ecosystem operates mainly(only?)in large cities--Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver. Elsewhere it thinned and collapsed altogether nearly a decade ago. That labs aren't reopening anywhere here takes the wind out of the wilder "film revival" claims. Happy that dependable, established labs and film sellers are profiting from their "last man standing" positions. Have trouble seeing how Flic Film fits into the new reality.

Interesting article published by CBC that disscusses FlicFilm. So far I've tried two of their products; Elektra100, which didn't impress me, and Vision 200T, which, being a movie film, provides extremely contrasting images. Shot one roll in my LX and the results were interesting enough for me to try another roll; this time in my Minolta a7. I'm about done with that roll. Since it is an ECN film that requires a separate bath to remove the Rem-Jet coating, I've found only 3 places in the U.S. that process it, and the one I selected charges $5.00 more per roll, which is still fairly modest. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/bakx-film-kodak-flic-film-1.6728613

A slow news day at the CBC Calgary desk...All this goes down the tubes when Kodak jacks prices/cuts back on cine film manufacturing. Just shy of C$ 20 for a roll of Kodak Ektar is numbing.

Downtown Camera in Toronto has apparently been out of Kodak chemistry for months. Reports and rumors began this March that Sino Promise, the Chinese buyer of the Kodak Alaris chemistry and photopaper division, was on the skids and now could be facing bankruptcy. Not a happy situation.

The village of Longview is less than an hour drive away, must runup and check these guys out. This is the first I heard of FlicFilm. Suspect the claims they manufacture product are a stretch. Availability and prices are becoming a problem. Amazon has increased their prices by a ridiculous amount recently. Just received the last in stock 100ft HP5 from Popho in Montreal, luckily at the old price and not approaching the expiry date. McBain Alberta on line state D76 limited supply, have some on hold in the Lethbridge store to pick up this weekend.

They do not "manufacture" the film........2 excerpts from B&H......

Flic Film Elektra 100 is re-spooled Kodak Aerocolor IV color negative film.

Rolled by machine directly from 1000-foot motion picture reels by Flic Film, VISION3 500T is a high-speed, tungsten-balanced movie film developed by KODAK.

Most reactions

Back