Flickr; am I the only one that hates it?

Assassin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Am I the only one that really hates Flickr?? I signed up to a 'Flickr-Pro' gallery a little while ago, but I just don't like the way it works. I certainly don't like the Yahoo engine behind it and the extremely complicated way of signing up to Yahoo and having to use a Yahoo address when I already have my own etc...., and the way that you organise galleries, collections, sets etc... I just find it's way too complicated. Maybe I'm just getting dumber, but does anyone alse agree with me....?? are there better easier galleries out there?? I heard about the 500px gallery on a recent podcast and had a brief look at it, but not sure if I'm game enough to put my photos on display there... Some of the 500px photos are really amazing.....

Thanks...

I think you're the only one :p

I'm not quite sure what you find difficult about it, it does seem pretty straight forward and the interface seems to hold your hand through the entire process. I find it easier than photobucket for instance.

I think you're the only one :p

I'm not quite sure what you find difficult about it, it does seem pretty straight forward and the interface seems to hold your hand through the entire process. I find it easier than photobucket for instance.

Actually, I've been whinging about it (to myself) for ages, since I've joined.... I was listening to a TWIT podcast the other day, and they echoed my sentiments exactly...:er: but probably has something to do with my brain freezing up here in mid winter.... hehee...

I loved Flickr until last night when they sent me notice that I will no longer have a free "Pro" account???? Apparently they no longer give free pro accounts just because I'm a paying Yahoo customer?

I like it better than photobucket.

ALL the other kids love Flickr!!!

Nothing says "happy snapper!" better than a Flickr hosting address. It provides the viewers of your photos with the impression that you upload all your piccies, even the so-so ones, direct from your memory card, so that everybody can see your mad skillz...and, in the end, isn't that what really counts? Spewing everything onto Flickr, and demonstrating mad skillz? I think so.

What is wrong with photobucket? I love how you can easily do BBcode for several pics at once.

Flicr is a community, Photobucket only hosts. I like "meeting" people from strange off lands and viewing a different perspective. As far as I know only Flickr or Facebook has that capability.

Derrel is mixing up facebook and flickr again ;)

As for Photobucket it works well as an image host, but its messy (the whole interface is just messy), ad infested and also has very very nasty terms and conditions of use (basically any photo hosted by them and not in a private gallery on their site, can be used by them and any 3rd party for any use without royalties or permission to the photographer - in addition this remains in effect only until you take the photo down from their service).
Flickr has a good interface; allows better connectivity between photographers through its social aspects (if you so choose to use them); does not have any nasty terms and conditions of use. Flickr does have to be a pro account to get the best out of it (esp on the organising front) however join a good good groups on flickr and the info/community more than pays for itself (consider that its less than most magazine subscriptions).

It does have some shortfallings - the "hiding" of the URL for photos - the fact that their "threads" in community discussions has no tracking feature - and the lack of smilies.

Derrel is mixing up facebook and flickr again ;)

As for Photobucket it works well as an image host, but its messy (the whole interface is just messy), ad infested and also has very very nasty terms and conditions of use (basically any photo hosted by them and not in a private gallery on their site, can be used by them and any 3rd party for any use without royalties or permission to the photographer - in addition this remains in effect only until you take the photo down from their service).
Flickr has a good interface; allows better connectivity between photographers through its social aspects (if you so choose to use them); does not have any nasty terms and conditions of use. Flickr does have to be a pro account to get the best out of it (esp on the organising front) however join a good good groups on flickr and the info/community more than pays for itself (consider that its less than most magazine subscriptions).

It does have some shortfallings - the "hiding" of the URL for photos - the fact that their "threads" in community discussions has no tracking feature - and the lack of smilies.

Yes indeed.

Flicr is a community, Photobucket only hosts. I like "meeting" people from strange off lands and viewing a different perspective. As far as I know only Flickr or Facebook has that capability.

agreed. It's nice to be able to comment on a photo asking about it, and actually getting a response.
That and Photobucket compresses images pretty badly, IMO. Where as Flickr is good with it.

What kind of gallery display option can Flickr provide? What are the options?

For a gallery type view the best flickr has is to make a "set" on flickr - then just open up that set, view one picture from it and click on the picture to go to the black gallery view. Oddly though the processing for this seems to soften details, its that or it does not work well with a small screen size and is more optimised for larger viewers

Most reactions

Back