Flickr Vs. Photobucket

Does flickr still mess with the color space?
I also didn't like flickr because any image I uploaded was almost instantly stolen. Obviously this can happen anywhere but it seems to be rampant on flickr.

Hmm I have never had an issue with Flickr.... colors seem to be much better than on photobucket. I also have never had anything stolen from me (to my knowledge) on there. I probably have nothing worth stealing but it still seems pretty safe. Especially if you put the images so only friends and family can see them

yeah, I'm hosting my website for a year for 44bucks, not too bad at all.. especially since I can put anything on there not just images. And it allows me to host my own website and blog as well.

I also didn't like flickr because any image I uploaded was almost instantly stolen. Obviously this can happen anywhere but it seems to be rampant on flickr.

Go sue them then and look at Flickr as a wonderful way to make money. ;)

And what the heck do you mean by "mess with the colour space"? o_O

yeah, I'm hosting my website for a year for 44bucks, not too bad at all.. especially since I can put anything on there not just images. And it allows me to host my own website and blog as well.

I considered that method also. However I quickly realized that the upload and display features in Flickr make it much easier than loading up a ton of photos then trying to categorize them.

I suppose I could use a photo album package but I haven't found one that I like yet that falls into my "free" budget.

well, that's true, although you can just do it by uploading the images via FTP in their own folders. So basically you categorize them prior to uploading.

I do agree that for ease of use etc. Flickr etc. is great. I wouldn't host myself just for pictures, I mostly do it because I want the website, and hosting the other stuff is just gravy.

Hmm I have never had an issue with Flickr.... colors seem to be much better than on photobucket. I also have never had anything stolen from me (to my knowledge) on there. I probably have nothing worth stealing but it still seems pretty safe. Especially if you put the images so only friends and family can see them

I believe Photobucket uses a compression algorithm when you upload jpg's. Not 100% sure on that but it would be a good reason as to why they don't look as good on Photobucket.

Egh, if they were commercial shots I would care more. Plus I'm pretty sure flickr couldn't be held liable in any way.

This was a couple years ago so they may not do it anymore but they used to strip out the color profile/space when you uploaded a jpg. So your photo on your PC may not match what gets uploaded.

Im all for flikr. Photobucket does nothing special for me that I cannot already do on flikr. Im finally getting to the point where I want to show off some of my images on my own website. However Flikr has served me well over the years and being able to link to sets of images has helped organize and point clients to previews.

RIP photobucket

/love flikr

If you have a spare computer you're willing to leave run 24/7 you can easily host your own website for about $10/yr or less with the purchase of a domain name and a DynDNS registration (Free).

Egh, if they were commercial shots I would care more. Plus I'm pretty sure flickr couldn't be held liable in any way.

This was a couple years ago so they may not do it anymore but they used to strip out the color profile/space when you uploaded a jpg. So your photo on your PC may not match what gets uploaded.

Oh please, I wasn't talking about suing Flickr. There's a perfectly clear clause in the ToS that protects them from other people stealing your images. I meant the people stealing your images. ;)

As for stripping colour space, nope, doesn't happen. Of course, that won't stop anyone from being dumb and uploading JPEGs in ProPhoto or Adobe RGB and making them look like muck to the rest of the world.

Personally I like photobucket, but its more because that's what I'm used to. I don't have my account on public access though as according to the TOS (as pointed out previously) they can use your photos if its on public. Typically though I use it for posting simple stuff on the net or showing off a bunch of photos at once to my friends. For the shots I think are best and want to share to many, I post up on deviantart.

If they did, or still do it doesn't matter. You can't upload an image that is not the standard sRGB space on the internet and expect to see the correct colours. More likely flickr's uploaded didn't understand colour spaces, in which case you still can't upload pictures to the internet and expect to see the correct colours.

If an image is stripped of it's colour space it is assumed to be sRGB. If you upload sRGB like you should then you don't have an issue. Browsers in general aren't colour aware.

If you have a spare computer you're willing to leave run 24/7 you can easily host your own website for about $10/yr or less with the purchase of a domain name and a DynDNS registration (Free).

I actually do this with http://www.garbz.com. That redirects to a small linux box I have here running Apache, with one little twist. I have loaded the flickr API into my website so that my galleries are auto generated from what is on that flickr account. That way my website stays snappy even when I am hammering my internet connection, or more importantly my computer games stay snappy when someone is hammering my website :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back