Flickr vs. Photobucket

Ocho_1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
May be a dumb question.....but I've noticed that the vast majority of you guys use Flickr, as opposed to Photobucket.

Is there a specific reason for this? I mean are there any clear differences that makes Flickr a better place to host pics than Photobucket?

I like flickr because you have more control of the layout. I have an account on both though.

both are fine as long as you resize your photos to the size you are going to post... before you upload them. The compression algorithms they use to save disk space / bandwidth suck.. and will make your photos look like crap, IF you allow them to compress them.

Flickr has the advantage of being able to post larger images here... sometimes that helps with detail.

I have both accounts, but prefer Flickr over Photobucket. For posting pictures here (my only photo site), I've found that they're most consistant to the original. I had problems with pictures looking under exposed and slightly less contrast posted from Photobucket. the same pictures posted from Flickr didn't have that problem. I do agree with CGibson1 that it makes a difference to resize yourself before uploading.

Good question Ocho. I myself have always used Photobucket. I've always wondered as well what the advantage (or perhaps disadvantage) would be on Flickr. I just recently started an account on Flickr to see how it fares against Photobucket but have yet to upload any pics to it. Hope to see much discussion on here. :p

Good question Ocho. I myself have always used Photobucket. I've always wondered as well what the advantage (or perhaps disadvantage) would be on Flickr. I just recently started an account on Flickr to see how it fares against Photobucket but have yet to upload any pics to it. Hope to see much discussion on here. :p

Why not try an experiment to see what the differences are viewed on your monitor. Upload the same picture to both and view them. Then, upload them here, and see what they look like. Now re-size those pictures to 1024xXXX and upload them again, to both sites, then to the test thread. Look for the differences. I'm sure many of us will be interested to see the results as well.

Flickr is not just a photo storage site. There is the social aspect there that photobucket does not have. For my use, I am part of a small group of folks that share photography interests with (landscapes, nature etc) part of groups and such. If you are talking about just storing photos, either PB or flickr will do.

I prefer Photobucket over Flickr and have acounts at both. Flickr looks to me like a high school kid's blog page programming class project - that only got a C+ grade.

Flickr may enjoy more visibility because of the SPAM they add at the bottom of photos linked to there.

A disadvantage of Flickr is they don't forward the photo EXIF data along with the photo. Anyone wanting to see the EXIF info has to go to Flicker and do a couple more clicks to see the EXIF info. That's not to cool.

Also note that you can host photos in your user gallery, here on The Photo Forum. And as of recently, you can now upload photo directly.

As for Photobucket vs Flickr....I would prefer that people use Photobucket. The reason is that the firewall here at my day job, blocks images from Flickr. So if I want to see those photos, I have to copy the URL and then use a proxy site. It's a PITA.

Of course, another option is to just host the photos yourself. Many people these days (especially photographers) have their own web site. You can just upload photos to your site and link from there. That's what I do, most of the time.

I have a paid account on both. I use photobucket for posting quick pics that I only intend to use in forums/ebay/craigslist. It's easy to upload and get the link, although it's usefullness is basically gone now that I have my own home server. I originally used it to host pics for one of my websites.

Flickr is where I put my photographs. It's nice to be in groups where other people are posting similar content. It helps to compare quality and get some new ideas. Navigation is easier and it's a much more professional interface.

I use both but flickr is very much my "These are Photographs" place whilst photobucket is my "dumpsite" for general snaps or screen shots or anything else random that I want hosted online.

Flickr is geared up mostly for a paid account holder, you get far more sorting options and you also get to see more than your last 200 photos in your collection (older photos still appear in any links you made and still remain in flickr, you just can't see or organise them on a free account - so it just shows your newest 200).
Flickr is the one I use the most and I prefer it overall, the interface is less advertising spammy compared to photobucket and it also has some useful community additions (yes yes there are a heck tonne of "awards" groups but there are also some very good and informative groups inside flickr if you search around for them).

Flickr also does preserve the EXIF info on your photo, but only on the originally uploaded photo size, all of the auto generated resized versions flickr makes of your photo will not contain EXIF info, however this can be accessed from the details tab on flickr (provided of course that the photo, when uploaded, had EXIF info).

I use Minus - Free Image and File Sharing because it's free, has 10gb of storage, and doesn't mangle your photos.

Occasionally it has a rough patch where they're updating the site and things get slow, but it's never down for an extended period. I prefer it over both Flickr or Photobucket because it's easy to use. You just drag images from your computer onto the webpage and they'll upload.

Last edited:
I mean, I have an account with both, but I've historically used Photobucket a lot more. Just seemed easier to imbed pics in forums & stuff like that.

Flickr is not just a photo storage site. There is the social aspect there that photobucket does not have. For my use, I am part of a small group of folks that share photography interests with (landscapes, nature etc) part of groups and such. If you are talking about just storing photos, either PB or flickr will do.

This ^

Is this a trick question?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back