flickr

grafxman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is anyone here leaving flickr after their "upgraded new improved website"? If where are you going to?

I was never there, but I know from a friend who was active there, that people are leaving in droves. Once 'site that was mentioned was Ipernity, but I know NOTHING about it.

Nope! I have no problem with it, I kinda like it.

I just picked up a ****load of space for free - I'll stick around a while!

I just picked up a ****load of space for free - I'll stick around a while!

Same here...I've had a mostly dormant account there for years, and now I get a free terrabyte of storage space. Nothing's changed, except that the new interface seems rather sucky to me.

Eh the only thing I hate is that they've mucked up the interface - the storeage space thing is - well they made free accounts better. Most of those leaving are just annoyed that what was once costed is now free.

I do hate that its a lot harder to navigate around because every page is now loading up big images all over the place and just seems - messy. That said I'm really not annoyed enough to jump anywhere else and heck I mostly use it just to host photos anyway so its not worth the bother of moving (plus they at least have good Terms and Conditions of use that don't try to steal your pictures)

I saw a post on Google+ by Thomas Hawk ... apparently uploads have increased by 71%. Not sure if people like the new free plan or if they like the new layout.

I actually like that they've come out with a new layout. I might have tweaked a few things, but the old layout was really looking tired.

I hated it at first because it looked like they screwed up the navigation to all my collections and sets by removing it from the right hand side of the page and I had no idea how to navigate to specific photos anymore. Once I learned to mouse over the 3 dots in the top right corner just above the photos and click on "Collections", I was good again.

Since I cancelled my Pro account, I'll save a little money every year, and I even got a little refund of $18.23 from them.

Now if only I was saving enough every year with Flickr's free account to offset Adobe's more-than-doubled Photoshop cost, the universe would be balanced again.

I saw a post on Google+ by Thomas Hawk ... apparently uploads have increased by 71%. Not sure if people like the new free plan or if they like the new layout.

I actually like that they've come out with a new layout. I might have tweaked a few things, but the old layout was really looking tired.

I don't know who Thomas Hawk is, perhaps he works for Yahoo, anyway here's the real skinny straight from flickr itself:

Flickr: Camera Finder: Canon

Flickr: Camera Finder: Nikon

Flickr: Camera Finder: Leica

As you can see uploads have plummeted when the new interface was launched.

I don't know who Thomas Hawk is, perhaps he works for Yahoo, anyway here's the real skinny straight from flickr itself:

Flickr: Camera Finder: Canon

Flickr: Camera Finder: Nikon

Flickr: Camera Finder: Leica

As you can see uploads have plummeted when the new interface was launched.

I don't believe he's an employee -- but he's been a big proponent of theirs.

Here's his blog entry: Thomas Hawk Digital Connection » Blog Archive » Flickr Users Uploading 71% More Photos to Flickr Since New Design Rolled Out

Basically he used the photo numbers to "count" the number of photos being uploaded in a window of time. He found a photo uploaded within minutes of the new announcement and got it's photo number. He then looked several days previous to find a photo and several days later to find a photo, and looked at how much the photo number counter incremented in the same period of time.

I can't say I love the layout, but I am more than satisfied with the terabyte of free space. I don't think that they will make any (barely any) money; who would pay $500 for another terabyte? At that point you have your own website.

gw2424 - aye the only reason they'd strip paid down so much is to basically make everyone go to free so that flickr can maximise income based of ad revenue. I suspect they did the math and worked out they could earn more per user on clicks than on fees per year - plus with all the added features also increase their income from new users who come to the service

gw2424 - aye the only reason they'd strip paid down so much is to basically make everyone go to free so that flickr can maximise income based of ad revenue. I suspect they did the math and worked out they could earn more per user on clicks than on fees per year - plus with all the added features also increase their income from new users who come to the service

Are the ad customers paying on a click-per-click basis?

Well I've no idea, but even if its not pay per click advertisers will only pay if they get enough hits from the site (and sales too as a result of those hits). So even if its not a direct "pay per click" advertising basically always is.

Most reactions

Back