Flower, critique appreciated.

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, first off, what an awesome title, "Flower". Anyways, the shot itself...I lit this one like the pill shots using a slight bit of natural light from the back and some flashlight light from the front, this time diffusing it with a tissue (I use some hardcore pro-equipment). I feel like it helped to eliminate highlights, using diffusion (that is the right term, correct?). I'm not sure how I feel about the overall exposure, and wish I'd lit the glass jar a little bit better to really bring out the green. Please, do not hold back, you guys have been great with critique in the past, so keep up the helpful work! What do you think of the shot and what is good, bad, or ugly about it? Thanks in advance for your honesty and feedback!

8799aog.jpg

there is a lot of dead space to the right, and the green in the bottle doesn't pop on my monitor...

that being said, i dig the composition

also the dead space has some weird large white spot that kinda distracts

Not that this needs critique... but it is hard to critique this still type of photography, because everything about these type shots is personal, from the focus to the lighting, and even composition.

I think the shot is nice in detail, I myself would prefer to crop more off the top, perhaps to about 1/2 inch above actual flower..

This is an artistic type shot, your interpretation, one can only really question if they like or dislike..

I like it !

Thanks guys! Meotter, I totally was wondering if anyone was gonna comment on that white spot in the dead space, and you did, thank you. And about the green bottle not popping, I totally agree, I think I might need to get a light on the bottle itself to give it pop, but then highlights will be an issue. And New England Moments, I agree that it is hard to critique this kind of a shot, because everything does boil down to personal preference, but I appreciate your comments all the same, and in the end, all I'm looking for is people to enjoy my work. Thanks again you two.

Oh, and by the way, New England Moments, are you looking forward to the big Northeaster comin' on through? I can't wait to see what kind of shots I can get out in the woods.

Don't know... i feel the picture is a little flat, and i spent more time looking at the spot in the dark, than the picture itself. The whole pic need more contrast and light to come back to life. IMHO, obviously

Trenton, I like this picture better than the pill one. I can't believe how well you did with just a flashlight. I agree with the other posters here that it is a little flat but the idea is very solid.

Since it says it is okay to edit I ran it through Photoshop and came up with this, I hope you don't mind. I boosted the exposure and saturation, cropped and removed the white ghost. Also used the selective color adjustment too.

8799aog.jpg

This storm is crummy down here in extreme SW New England. We got a 1/4 inch of snow, some sleet, freezing rain and now regular rain. Hasn't amounted to much so far.

Wow, Digital_Flower, thanks for the edit! Is it fine if I like, save that and throw that in my library? I like that a lot! Thank you!
For future reference: Anyone can edit any of my work, I'm just learning, so any edits that will help me learn things faster, are GREATLY appreciated. :] Thanks again!

I like the flower image. There's something unnatural about sitting right on top of the green bottle. There are some flower arranging rules of proportion that I think are broken here. Something is amiss. I do like the carnation image though. Ron

I like the flower image. There's something unnatural about sitting right on top of the green bottle. There are some flower arranging rules of proportion that I think are broken here. Something is amiss. I do like the carnation image though. Ron

Rules? Rules?! If everyone followed the rules there'd never be anything interesting. I'm not saying this shot is interesting, but I'm not gonna sit here and say anyone should follow rules either. Boo on you for bringing 'rules' into play.

Most reactions

Back