Flowers..C&C

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to take some pictures of the flowers I bought my friend... I REALLY wish I had a macro lens..but I don't. So, I tried to make do with what I have...

What do you think?

1.)
DSC_0546.jpg

2.)
DSC_0547.jpg

3.)
DSC_0550.jpg

4.)
DSC_0553.jpg

The problem with posting shots of flowers and trying to get comments is that it's been done before. And a lot. Everyone that gets an SLR takes a picture of their garden and posts on here. Unless the shot is really bad or really good you're not going to get much in the way of C&C. So at least you know your shots aren't horrible. Just kind of plain. Been there done that sort of thing.

And it helps to post how you took the shot. If you want advice on how to get a better image it helps if we know how the shot was taken. Gear used, settings, light etc.

They all look soft to me.

Natural light (about 3pm), 200mm,on 'close up' mode, no flash,hand held...

I completely understand...I know it kind of goes hand in hand with everyone asking "what type of camera should I buy"..lol it gets old, been there ( and greatly appriciate the patience of all of u who helped me.) But, everyone has to start somewhere! And flowers are easy..and available, and pretty...so I guess that's why noobs love em. Have to start somewhere--even if its the same ol' boring stuff--lol

I didn't include the settings stuff-- cuz I thought itd be on the exif?...is it not? If not I can find out the iso n f stop etc...

I will take it to a further step...and try to make it more interesting, and take any advice given to me..

I guess for now I was just trying to get used to my camera, and see how well I'm doing, or if I'm progressing...or not?...

But again, thank u for those of u who have commented! I do appriciate it! :)

I took a peak at those links, Bitter...very cool! Are they just on a black background with lights placed at an angle behind the petals? What settings would I use to attempt that, do u know? I think that's my next "homework assignment" :)

In order to arrive at "something different" with particularly the sunflower in the bunch you have "to work with" just now, in the way the photos show in the link, I'd suggest you really just PLAY with the flowers, the light and the background, and try this and that and more and thus learn. Don't rely on anyone giving you instructions as to settings and such. Try out for yourself. That's most of the FUN, isn't it?

In order to arrive at "something different" with particularly the sunflower in the bunch you have "to work with" just now, in the way the photos show in the link, I'd suggest you really just PLAY with the flowers, the light and the background, and try this and that and more and thus learn. Don't rely on anyone giving you instructions as to settings and such. Try out for yourself. That's most of the FUN, isn't it?

Lol, yeah.I suppose your right. Just wasn't even sure where to start...guess I've got a lot of playing around to do. :)

you've already found where to start. the flower. :)

instead of just bending down and taking the shot, which is what most people do, bend down and look at it from every direction and angle. im sure you'll come up with something different from doing that. :)

That basically what I do. I'll go down to our local park and just sit there and think of new ways to try and photograph the flowers. I tried something new yesterday (I called it floating in Bokeh), I will post a couple from the series tomorrow.

I just see this as all too common..."I found a subject, now just walk around it to look for something interesting." Manipulate your subject! DO something with it. Take it apart. Think of singularities, groups, backgrounds, lighting, juxtaposition, contrast...That's where you become creative and set yourself apart from all the other static pictures of a bouquet. Same holds true for all the images of daffodils in the back yard. They are boring because everyone has seen them. There's no "OMG! Daffodils! Growing out of the ground!" Pick one, or two, or three. Get some leaves too. Take them inside and create and image.

As for light, as said I think, you can come up with something. Think of lightsources *you* have available. Candles, flashlights, leds...Think of how you can control that light with snoots, diffusion, direction...

Settings to use? Well, that depends on many things doesn't it? These are more creative choices available to you. Narrow DoF, broad DoF, including the background, blurring the background...You even have variables with different lenses. There is soo much readily available to you to start thinking creatively, that yes, these shots are boring.

There are also two schools of thought in regards to asking for CC. I like to know what you were trying to do, or what response you are trying to ilicit. That way CC can be giving directly to what you were trying to achieve. Others think that if you give that information, you bias the viewer, and guide the response. It's the "wait and see if they get it" approach. I won't say one is better than the other. For instance, you said "I guess for now I was just trying to get used to my camera, and see how well I'm doing." Well, then, I would wonder if you even wanted CC on the creativity or impact of the image. Did you just want to know if it's well exposed and in focus?

Those two images came from the TPF member Clawed, by the way, from last year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back