TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
recent shot... straight from the camera, no editing

100_4801.jpg

That shadow in the lower-left-middle kinda looks out of place...it's rather distracting. Also, I agree with the over-exposure of the rocks in the foreground. But it's a good shot!

My personal opinion is that underexposure is far less distracting than over-exposure. You notice the brightest areas first.

If you shot it in raw, you can use exposure compensation to make up for it.

Great shot though, love the clarity.

thanks for the 'ments guys. i usually edit some (exposure compensation...except manually) to get the blown out parts a little toned down...just thought i'd skip the edit stage for a change. dont know what i can do (or could have done) about that shadow, though. i couldnt really move the tree...i might could wait till another time of day i guess...oh well. hah. thanks again.

Lovely scene as it is.
Since this is Critique rather than General Gallery, I would have to think of some critique, but others are better at it and have already mentioned the overexposure and the shadow (the latter I don't mind as much). I appreciate that you put up a photo straight from the camera, but I've come to doing some post processing things to my photos, mostly so "exposure-related". Whereas underexposure is, indeed, something I fear less than overexposure.

I agree with what the others said, but do'nt find it a great deal distracting, raw capture! quite good!

thebeginning said:
should i have exposed for the highlights? i usually fear underexposure in those cases...

If you are shooting digital it's easy to bracket. Shoot one for the highlights and one for the shadows.

I don't think it's the exposure as much as the lighting. You need to be in this spot ready to take pictures with the sun lower in the sky, or on an overcast or partly cloudy day.

decided to go for a quick edit just to see what i could come up with. i didnt do much. for some reason whenever i post something online it darkens it. so imagine this was slightly lighter:

flowingstream.jpg

Most reactions

Back