Flycam 5000

jaymo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone use the Flycam 5000? I can't get it to work correctly. I plan to return it. Paid $250. Anyone know if there is an alternative in the same price range. I use a canon 40D with multiple lenses. Thanks!

What doesn't work correctly about it? You've given us very little information to go on. For all we know, it could be user error.

So true Tyler. So the problem is that it is extremely difficult to stabilize. Ive watch many YouTube videos on how to balance and stabilize it, I follow the instructions but the results are not what I want.

It takes practice.
Most people counter weigh it wayyyyyy to heavily.
I was working with a noob the other day.
He was asking us for our keys to hang off the end to make it heavier. Such a fail.

The ratio essentially supposed to be 10/10.1
The counterweight is supposed to be slightly heavier, not a whole lot.

Keep messing with it, and practice.
The flycam is not faulty, it's just a difficult piece of equipment to use.

Isn't the flycam 5000 the model for heavier cameras?
Isn't the flycam 2000 the one for about the wheight of dslrs?
(I could be wrong about this)

Edit: keep in mind, once your stabilize it, your lenses all weigh differently
So you will have to learn how the counter-weighing works and be able to compensate per lens.

So you know, these flycam, glide cam, gimbal units, are all generally recommended to use wider lenses.
Roughly 24mm I believe.
I've seen people use wider, but the results usually suck as the more zoomed in and telephoto the lens is, the more the imperfections in glide stability is noticeable.
I use my 28mm once in a while, but on a crop sensor it's a bit rough.
I usually use my 16mm 2.8. Or my 18-55mm kit lens, kept roughly around the 18-24mm ranges.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back