Flying With Camera Equipment after 12/25/09

thanks, as i will be traveling this spring and later in late summer.

i hope canada comes to their sense about what they are going to allow as this puts a real damper on camera equipment.

Thanks for posting that, I'll have to keep an eye on the rules since I'm flying down to Jamaica in a couple of months. I'm use to people inspecting my camera gear but I fear having to check it instead of carrying it on with me.

Wow.. that sucks....

Pretty much means any photo shoot that requires flying is a pray it doesn't get lost, stolen, or damage kinda experience. Totally unacceptable.

I would imagine insurance premiums for camera equipment are also going to go up.

I think the best thing you can do is call your local TSA office before your flight and get current information. Make sure you get the identification of the person who gives you the information, because it is my bet that not everyone will have the same information.

I agree. I'm a college-bound photographer and I would NEVER personally want to check camera equipment and not be able to carry it on.

I went to California with some of my family members that were participating in the Rose Bowl parade luckily on assignment for the local newspaper. I just asked them straight out if I could rent camera equipment in Pasadena. I think that worked out considerably better than if I had used their(the local paper) equipment. Outbound from Bush Intercontinential(Houston) to Los Angeles International.

Wow.. that sucks....

Pretty much means any photo shoot that requires flying is a pray it doesn't get lost, stolen, or damage kinda experience. Totally unacceptable.

I would imagine insurance premiums for camera equipment are also going to go up.

ya... we had an experience with Hawaiian Airlines losing our bags and when we got it back a few days later (a $300 hardcase Samsonite) it was completely damaged. Can't imagine if camera gear was in that....

I guess you could travel with a pelican case to lighten the damage risk, but still putting over $5G of equipment in an unlocked suitcase.... i agree..... unacceptable

TSA's job is to protect.. fine... they make requirements..

What gets me is that the customers are expected to be accommodating but the airlines themselves are doing ZERO to work with the customers and improve the experience. Even worse... they nickel and dime yah...

I think its perfectly reasonable to require checkins. If the TSA sees it as a way to better security.. fine. BUT the airlines better put into place the means to secure, insure, and transport the personal items properly. Expecting a paying customer to checkin and pray is TOTALLY unacceptable.

Wow.. that sucks....

ya... we had an experience with Hawaiian Airlines losing our bags and when we got it back a few days later (a $300 hardcase Samsonite) it was completely damaged. Can't imagine if camera gear was in that....

I guess you could travel with a pelican case to lighten the damage risk, but still putting over $5G of equipment in an unlocked suitcase.... i agree..... unacceptable

$5G for many pros on assignment would be a small number!

.. she didn't mention pros...

Some pros travel light... Alex Majoli for example runs around with P&S cameras.

Some are simply journalists...

BUT the airlines better put into place the means to secure, insure, and transport the personal items properly. Expecting a paying customer to checkin and pray is TOTALLY unacceptable.

:thumbup:

And I heard today that several are raising the price for checked baggage AGAIN! If I have to pay to check a bag, I think I have the right to expect it to get to my destination with me in one piece.

Thanks for posting that, I'll have to keep an eye on the rules since I'm flying down to Jamaica in a couple of months. I'm use to people inspecting my camera gear but I fear having to check it instead of carrying it on with me.

Airlines do NOT accept camera equipment as checked in luggage because they do NOT accept any liability for it.

skieur

Wow.. that sucks....

$5G for many pros on assignment would be a small number!

I'm not a pro, just shoot for hobby :mrgreen: i'm sure you pros have the equivalent of a mercedes benz in your camera bag! lol!

Airlines do NOT accept camera equipment as checked in luggage because they do NOT accept any liability for it.

I believe they will.... but you'll have to assume risk (TSA locks require in the US). In the past, I"ve checked in my tripod and other "less fragile" times to make room in my carry on. Its perfectly reasonable for a zero carry on policy for security but the airlines should provide accommodations or options that are better than 1) checkin assume risk 2) don't fly. This is especially true when they are charging for checkins anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back