Flying..

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm flying for the holidays and I have my Canon EOS 650 and it currently has film in it.. will the scanners at the Airport effect the film in the camera or the camera itself? I'd hate to throw it away since there are 10 shots left on the roll. Also, I bought some film I want to bring. It is still packaged...will this matter?

Thanks..

If you are flying the best thing you can do it go to tsa.gov and check out what the procedures are for film camera inspection at this time. Even better. Shoot those last 10 shots before you leave. No worries then.

Typically, the X-ray machines for carry on baggage...are not too strong...so your film should be safe. High speed film (ISO 1600, 3200) is more susceptible to damage (fogging) though.

I agree, it's probably best to finish off the roll before you go...just in case they ask you to open it up.

Taking film shouldn't be a problem...but if you get a jerk at the check point...they may want to open up all the plastic containers. A good suggestion I heard was to take all the film out of the plastic containers and put it all in a zip-lock bag. That way, if the check, they can easily see that it's just film.

This may not relate completely, but if the back of your camera ever gets open with film in it it shouldn't ruin the pictures. When film is loaded in a Canon the film is completely pulled out of the cartridge and as you take pictures it rolls back in. The only film wasted is the unused part. My tripod tipped over and mine came open with four exposures left but all of what I had taken came out fine. It was expensive slide film at that.. Cosmo

I actually just flew this morning and was bored waiting in line so read the signs. They say that film at speeds 800 and above has a risk of being exposed, especially if you're taking low-light shots with it.

They also say on the signs that you have a right to request a hand inspection of all film, so you could do that and then not have to worry.

cosmonaut said:
This may not relate completely, but if the back of your camera ever gets open with film in it it shouldn't ruin the pictures. When film is loaded in a Canon the film is completely pulled out of the cartridge and as you take pictures it rolls back in. The only film wasted is the unused part. My tripod tipped over and mine came open with four exposures left but all of what I had taken came out fine. It was expensive slide film at that.. Cosmo

Not all EOS cameras are like that. The EOS 650 in question does not do that. (I have one)

I fly all the time for work. And have never had a problem with asking for hand inspection of anything. I once brought back a 2 gallon sized ziplock bag full of film. They didn't even open up the bag. Just let them know before you go through the metal detector. I useually hold the bag out in front of me so they know. It helps if you put things you want inspected in a clear bag (now a requirement for medicines, and tolitries).

But I fly on average 1-2 times a week. Sometimes with weird items (aircraft parts) and never had a problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back