focal length.

I don't understand. How do you set your zoom lens to the longest focal length? How do you 'zoom in'? If so, set the lens to the largest number on the barrel.

How do I get the maximum lens zoom on my Nikon d5100 has it anything to do with focal length?
Buy a lens that has more focal length, which is also known as 'reach.

Generally, as focal length increases, so does lens cost. Variable aperture zoom lenses cost less than constant aperture zoom lenses. Maximum lens aperture also drives lens cost.

Consumer grade, variable aperture, kit zoom lens $237 - Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens

One of Nikon's best lens values - Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Pro grade, constant aperture zoom lens $2400 - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
----------------------------------------------
Here is a consumer grade, 3rd party, variable aperture $1500 long reach 50-500 mm zoom lens - Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM SLD Ultra Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Camera

Here is a $6750 Nikon pro grade, long reach, 200-400 mm constant aperture zoom lens - Nikon 200-400mm f/4G AF-S SWM SIC ED IF VR II Nikkor Super Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Here is a $9800 pro grade 600 mm long reach prime (no zoom) long reach lens - Nikon 600mm f/4.0G ED VR II AF-S SWM Super Telephoto Lens for Nikon FX and DX Format Digital SLR

Last is a 35 lb, 200-500 f/2.8 lens that costs $26,000 - Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking at this post and your other post, it seems that your ultimate goal is to get really tight shots of far away objects. The two things you can do is get a long focal length lens and then get some editing software for your computer that will let you crop and resize your images (Crop just means to cut away the outer edges of your picture). If you are shooting with lots of light, then get the Nikon 70-300 mentioned above, zoom in to 300 and take your pictures. Then transfer the pictures to your computer and crop and blow them up until you get the results you are looking for. As for software, I would recommend Adobe light room.

If you are trying to do this in low light with fast moving objects, then you will need to take out a second mortgage on your house to buy the lens you will need (long focal length with a large aperture)

One note about aperture. The lower the number the bigger the aperture. So f/1.4 is bigger than f/2.8.

Cropping reduces image resolution by throwing away pixels.

At some point the reduced resolution translates into reduced image quality.

If you can, avoid cropping.

Cropping reduces image resolution by throwing away pixels.

At some point the reduced resolution translates into reduced image quality.

If you can, avoid cropping.

Agreed, but the OP in another post was asking why his P&S could zoom in much closer than his new DSLR. If he was happy with with the picture quality of the P&S zoomed in, then I would assume he would be happy with a cropped DSLR pic.

Agreed, but the OP in another post was asking why his P&S could zoom in much closer than his new DSLR. If he was happy with with the picture quality of the P&S zoomed in, then I would assume he would be happy with a cropped DSLR pic.

Cropping in post is the equivalent of 'digital zoom'. Perhaps the OP doesn't zoom/crop much to notice the difference.

The OP was coming from a P&S, perhaps one of the "Super Zoom" P&S cameras. He probably has to crop far more with a DSLR to get the same field of view.

Its important to know the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom when you are looking for more reach.
Optical zoom is created with lenses where as digital is created by simply cutting the outside pixels off and blowing up the center. Optical zoom is far more ideal but if your picture quality is good enough than you can crop it (digitally zoom) and still have a good image.

If you want more zoom, buy a higher focal length lens. When I first got my D3200 I bought a 55-300mm lens shortly after and the 300mm side of that is a good bit of zoom. You can reach out and take some nice pics with something of that length.

If you want more zoom, buy a higher focal length lens. When I first got my D3200 I bought a 55-300mm lens shortly after and the 300mm side of that is a good bit of zoom. You can reach out and take some nice pics with something of that length.
She can't do that, the camera does not have interchangeable lenses. Plus, she already has a 24x zoom, or roughly the equivalent of a 55mm to 1,320mm zoom lens on a D3200.

Edit ... Ignore! Wrong topic.

Last edited:
She can't do that, the camera does not have interchangeable lenses. Plus, she already has a 24x zoom, or roughly the equivalent of a 55mm to 1,320mm zoom lens on a D3200.

Wait........ what?!?!? The D5100 doesn't have interchangable lenses? When did THAT happen?

Wait........ what?!?!? The D5100 doesn't have interchangable lenses? When did THAT happen?
You're right, sorry. I got my topics confused.

It wouldn't be interchangeable if you Super-glued that puppy on. ;)

Thanks every one,
I'm beginning to understand things a bit more clearly now. Digital zoom and optical zoom thats really really minute basic stuff to you guys but new to me so forgive my total ignorance. The results i was getting with my P&S were very poor at maximum zoom plus cropping. They were very tight in but poor. So I assumed that a more expensive camera + a couple of zoom lenses would do the job much better. I have a 18-55 and a 70-300 lens. Now I know how to trim and crop I am getting much better results than I was before. When you have a sea eagle sitting on a rock or killing a goose 4-500 yds away from your kitchen window, occasionally closer you just get in as tight as you can. I'm happy at the moment but I expect there will be a time when I will want to improve and upgrade. No just upgrade I already want to improve.
Thanks again

Most reactions

Back