Focus bracketing

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I am a newbe in this amazing world of photography.
I own a canon S80. While experimenting I was stuck at bracketing. I could understand Exposure bracketing which takes 3 consecutive shots with varying exposure; but could not not understand what is Focus bracketing and how does it work.
Request help,
Thanks
Ketan

As far as I understand that the camera will simply take 3 (maybe more) consecutive shots with differing focal distances. This will get you a picture with the focus exactly as you originally have chosen it and the other pictures will have their focus a little closer or further away.
I could imagine that this might be useful for macros where one usually only has a very shallow DOF and where it's likely that the focus might be off a bit. With focus bracketing you get additional shots with different focal distances so if the focus is off it might be just right in one of the pictures with varied focal distance.

Thanks, but I am not able to make it work with my canon S80!!
It just takes one shot.
Exposure bracketing works fine, takes 3 shots with varying exposures.

Focus bracketing is something you don't need to do unless you need to do it, and generally you don't need to do it.

:)

Is focus bracketing actually a feature of your camera? I've never heard of that (as a feature).

Focus bracketing can be used to get the DOF in a image, deeper than would be possible with one exposure. It would mean taking multiple shots, focused at different distances, and then using software to combine the images by selective masking. I seem to recall reading an article about it...maybe in Pop Photo?

Thanks, but I am not able to make it work with my canon S80!!
It just takes one shot.
Exposure bracketing works fine, takes 3 shots with varying exposures.

Focus bracketing on some cameras takes three shots with one button push
Some cameras require you to push the button three times.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back