focus ring question

Not to hijack this thread... But related to the topic I am very much a beginner and focusing is my largest issue (I have only my kit lens).

When allowing the camera to auto focus itself, I typically have to push the shutter button partially down, then reinitiate several times, until it "guesses" the focus points that I actually want to focus on. I tried manual focus, but what seemed to be spot on in my camera, turned out to be much less so in actuality. I read a blog post (that I can't find now) that suggested changing the settings to the center focus point only, then just using the exposure lock/focus lock and repositioning the focused point within the frame. This seems to be working, though I'm not sure it's the best way to go about doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the focus lock and re-frame method all the time.

Otherwise, the camera tries to figure out what type of picture you are shooting (portrait, landscape, off center subject etc) and select the target focus points accordingly. It doesn't always get it right. That is why you would like to change the metering type.

By the way, when focusing manually, these focus points should still be active and let you know when they judge to be in focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back