focus screen

RockstarPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a good place to buy a different focus screen for nikon's. I'm giving my dad a d3000 and all of his glass is older and won't focus on it. I want to put in a split prism type screen so it will be easier to manually focus for him. Anybody know of a good source?

Nikon DSLRs - KatzEye Optics have one for the D3000. I highly rate my D200 katzeye screen. :)

Should maybe also mention while this is an improvement it's still a big letdown compared to the viewfinder of yesteryear like the Nikon FE2. The modern DSLR just has a viewfinder that's too small.

To small ,and has a mirror that is only 50% reflective to accomodate the secondary mirror used by the auto focus module.

I agree with both posts above. While I don't have a KatzEye screen, I've always heard good things.
And yes, compared to most 35mm film cameras (especially the good ones), most Digital SLR cameras (especially the cheaper ones) have woefully small viewfinders that aren't as bright as they were 'back in the good 'ol days'

So while adding a split screen may help your father, it may not make it easy enough for him.

On the other hand, I'd guess that the D3000 probably has live view technology, so he may be able to use the rear LCD screen to focus.

On the other hand, I'd guess that the D3000 probably has live view technology, so he may be able to use the rear LCD screen to focus.

No, unfortunately it doesn't have live view.... but it does have a focus indicator light in the lower left hand corner of the viewfinder......

Most reactions

Back