Focus speed on canon 100mm macro??

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm hoping that some one who has a canon 100mm macro can help me out here.

I just received one of these lenses that I purchased off ebay, but I have not had more than a minute to try it out.

When I did try it I was focussing on the edge of a book and I found that the focus seemed to move slowly. I was pretty close to the subject and it did eventually pick up focus, but it just seemed very slow.

Is this normal for the Canon 100mm macro lense?

Please let me know.

Thanks

They are slow! There is likely nothing wrong with yours.

Derrick

Thnnks Montana!

I am hoping to have time on Sunday to give it a work out!!

Cheers

Its a fun lens, but by no means a speed demon. LOL The focus limiter helps a tad, but not much. It is what it is....a sharp macro.

Derrick

Mine is USM, and its not real fast. Hunts some to.

Mine is pretty slow when shooting macro, but I usually use MF anyway so that's not an issue.

It focuses much faster when I am shooting things at a distance.

BTW, it's a great lens. You'll love it!

Are all of your 100mm macros really so slow?

Mine is lightning fast if the focus point is already relatively near the object being focused on (within 2-3 feet), outside of that range it's a little slower, but not to the point that I'd complain about it; only hunts in low light (like any lens would).

Are all of your 100mm macros really so slow?

Mine is lightning fast if the focus point is already relatively near the object being focused on (within 2-3 feet), outside of that range it's a little slower, but not to the point that I'd complain about it; only hunts in low light (like any lens would).

Mine is not slow if used as a short tele -- but slow if target is in macro range

I never said mine was really slow. Just slower than my other Canon lenses. And my Sigma EX is lightning fast. I just did some testing, and it does tend to hunt in lower light, but more than my other lenses did. Greater subject distances it did perform better. I have no complaints about the lens, I never expected it to perform like a race horse. I just wanted razor sharp images.

Derrick

Well, now that I have had a bit of tme with the ense I see that, as mentioned above, it focusses quickly when shooting normal shots and is slow at macro distance.

I dont use it AF at macro, but I thought I would try it since it is my first dedicated macro lense.

Cheeres

Most reactions

Back