Focus to Infinity

GeorgeUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Noticed this has been used for photographing fireworks etc.

How is this done?

I'm assuming the camera is set to manual focus and then adjusted to the furthest possible point...or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

No, set to MF and there should be an infinity mark on the lenses focus ring. (it looks like a side-ways 8) Some lenses may go past infinity, but that a manufacturing fault and has no photographic purpose. You could also AF on the horizon, then switch to MF without changing the lens focus setting.

I'm pretty sure that being able to go past infinity is for lenses whose infinity focus point can shift around a bit depending on temperature extremes. So not exactly a manufacturing fault.

It's been my experience that the cheaper the lens build, the more you find this characteristic. An old 500mm mirror lens of questionable heritage might have this flaw, but a pro build 500 f/4 usually is pretty tight. But this discussion is O.T. and for a different place.

Also note, I have heard some manufatcurers are discontinuing infinity focus, I don't know how true it is being I don't use new lenses but.....

If it is true your lens may not have it, if so focusing on the furthest possible point may be your best bet.

All of the lenses that fit that AE-1 you brought up do have it, that I am sure of.

Many autofocus lenses focus past infinity by design. It means that the lens can be focused quickly without slamming into a limit stop.

When they are put into manual, a limit stop may be engaged. That is the case with the 50 mm Nikkor f/1.4D AF, for example. Other autofocus Nikkors can be focused past infinity when in manual and in auto/manual.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back