Focus

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am finding that I'm struggling a bit with focus. I'm getting better, but still having troubles.

I take the pictures, think I got them right and when I get home and upload them, I'm finding they're off just a little (or a lot) sometimes. Is this something that will just get better with practice? The good news I see this morning as I upload my latest batch is my exposures are almost perfect - no more clipped highlights yay lol.

Are you using manual or auto?

If you are using auto than manually select you focal points. Also you should be aware of your DOF (watch your aperture).

I use auto (and I try to use either program or aperature setting) until I get annoyed with it's constant readjusting... then I switch to manual for a few shots. I've been taking 2 or 3 shots each time with different aperatures to learn how they relate to each other (ie numbers vs results I see)

Are you sure it's focus and not camera shake?

Pro's don't often make images while hand holding their camera. They use a tripod.

What focus mode is your camera set to AF-S, AF-C, AF-A?

I have the camera set to AF-S and I was on a tripod the whole day, using a remote. It must be me then :)

Does your camera automatically pick the focal point, or have you manually selected it? If the camera picks the wrong focal point, your subject will almost always be out of focus. If I'm hand holding, I'll manually select the center point, half depress the shutter with the center on my subject, recompose, then fully depress the shutter.

On a tripod, I choose whatever focal point that covers my subject, half depress to get focus, then turn on manual focus so the focus doesn't change. Could that maybe be your problem?

Gaerek - I didn't know that I could use the auto focus, set my shot and then switch to manual. That actually makes a lot of sense. All my pictures from the last set are of flowers and it was a windy day, which I didn't think about until just now. The wind likely moved the flowers and the camera reset the focus on me. I sure have a lot to learn yet :)

Something I discovered quite by accedent.

Set your Dioptler adjustment (if you have it). For some unknow reason it changed the quality of the pics I was taking.

Also, it is possible that the lens could be out of calibration as well.

Ok I went out today and here are 2 examples of my troubles with focus - I'm pretty sure it's me and not the camera :D

#1 f6.3, 1/125, iso 100, program priority

622715133_MTxoA-M.jpg

#2 f8.0, 1/640, iso 100, program priority

622712210_oPgRU-M.jpg

What is the focal length on your lens, and also what is the minimum focusing distance? How close were you?

Number one looks like you were too close to focus on certain parts of the plant.
Number two looks like it was the same thing.

Most reactions

Back