focus

Darebear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I just got a nikon d5000 and I was wondering if you can set more than one focus point. Also what are some good beginner photography books?
Thanks

If it came with an instruction manual, that would be a great place to start.

Another would be a book called "Magic Lantern Guide for ________" if it is out for your camera this soon after introduction

I really want to know if you can set more than 1 focus point and if so how to do it.

when selecting AF point you have three options: 1) select ALL AF points and the camera will use all AF points and it will let you know which point(s) are used to attain focus. 2) Select one of the AF points and the camera will only try to focus at that one AF point. It will not try to focus on any other AF points. 3) some cameras allow you to select a group of AF points. I am not sure about the D5000 as I don't have one. But read your manual to find out.

congradulations on new camera .. i just got the D-5000 too.. so looking with interest...

I really want to know if you can set more than 1 focus point and if so how to do it.

YOUR instruction manual for a Nikon D5000 will tell you a lot more about focus points on a D5000 than can any of us who don't even have a D5000.

D5000 is a relatively new camera, most people here do not even have one.

You will be surprised how many questions can be answered just as quickly by reading as by asking without reading first.

Can you please read the flipping manual before you just start asking questions (with your first postings on TPF) that are going to be answered in the manual?

You are welcome to TPF, but please be willing to do some of the research yourself instead of just asking without doing any on your own first.

YOUR instruction manual for a Nikon D5000 will tell you a lot more about focus points on a D5000 than can any of us who don't even have a D5000.

You will be surprised how many questions can be answered just as quickly by reading as by asking without reading first.

Can you please read the flipping manual before you just start asking questions (with your first postings on TPF) that are going to be answered in the manual?

You are welcome to TPF, but please be willing to do some of the research yourself instead of just asking without doing any on your own first.
Sure thing, Will pick it up tomorrow and read through it. I don't mind the constructive criticism at all and I appreciate the reply.

No you cannot select more then one of your focus points. If you have objects at the same distance (in line with each other for example) then it isnt needed, if you are trying to focus on objects at different distances, your single lens with it;s glass elements can only move to focus on one.
You can use a stop down (increase your f/number) to increase your depth of field to include more in focus detail, but I'm sure you'll learn all about that with your reading.

When you say focus "point" I assume you mean focus "area".

Don't know about the D5000, or other Nikon DSLR's for that matter, but my D40, D70, and D80 all can select and change focus areas from one area to multiple areas.

How to do it is in the instruction manual, where to do it is in the menu on the camera.

Last edited:

Sure thing, Will pick it up tomorrow and read through it. I don't mind the constructive criticism at all and I appreciate the reply.

Bloody hell, you havn't even read the manual :confused: have you managed to find the on button :lmao:

Be nice now, Gary....

All these high tech on buttons, batteries, lens caps - what to do, what to do?

"you mean there is some assembly required?" before I can use my camera?

Almost seems we are in a culture where people think that instruction manuals are for dummies. Call me a dummy, I refer to mine frequently, and I have been shooting for over 40 years. You never quit learning if you really want to learn in the first place.

You try to be nice, try to keep being nice, but these posts like "I got a wedding photo business going good, already have my logo and website up, what kind of camera should I get, and how do I use it?" get old eventually.

"Should I get a flash or a strobe, what is the difference?"

"Hurry now and answer my questions, I have a wedding shoot this weekend."

"What is a fast lens? To use a fast lens do I need a faster camera?"

Geesh!!!!!

Last edited:
Be nice now, Gary....

All these high tech on buttons, batteries, lens caps - what to do, what to do?

"you mean there is some assembly required?" before I can use my camera?

Almost seems we are in a culture where people think that instruction manuals are for dummies. Call me a dummy, I refer to mine frequently, and I have been shooting for over 40 years. You never quit learning if you really want to learn in the first place.

You try to be nice, try to keep being nice, but these posts like "I got a wedding photo business going good, already have my logo and website up, what kind of camera should I get, and how do I use it?" get old eventually.

"Should I get a flash or a strobe, what is the difference?"

"Hurry now and answer my questions, I have a wedding shoot this weekend."

"What is a fast lens? To use a fast lens do I need a faster camera?"

Geesh!!!!!

I have a good laugh reading some of the questions asked,I would not dream of asking a question without trying to find the answer first but then i don't asked questions on here :lmao:

The nature of forums is there are 'those who ask' and 'those who answer'.

The smarter "those who ask" prople soon discover that many answers are opinion, urban legend, or just plain wrong, and begin doing their own research, there by becoming better informed and thus, begin making the transition to "those who answer".

Every forum has those individuals that never make the transition and stay forever "those who ask" because they never realise that by doing your own research you come across information you didn't know, you didn't know. :thumbup: ;)

Most reactions

Back