Focusing in Low Light Using Speedlight

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is probably a common question, and one that I haven't read to the point in my book of, so hoping to get some help from any of you that can offer it.

How the heck do you focus in AF mode in low light conditions using a Canon Speedlight 430 exii? We're expecting our first child in the next week and I really want to get this figured out.

Is there a setting to fire a pre-flash for focusing purposes? Pretty simple question, hoping the answer is just as simple:)

Thanks.

the flash will fire a pre flash to assist in AF, just as the built in will.

AF Assist beam page 22 of the manual?

Thanks, i'll check it out. Was in a rush to post that last night and didn't have a chance to explain further. I'll take a peek at page 22 and see if that answers my question - appreciate your quick help on this.

My flash has not been firing a pre-flash and, without it, my AF points won't detect what is even in the dark scene, let alone focus in on the area I need.

Will keep y'all posted!

Go inside a room. Take a photo of a picture frame on the wall. Do not look at through the viewfinder, look at the wall and you should notice some red beam patterns on the wall.

It probably is firing a pre-flash, but it's quick and you don't notice it...but that is for E-TTL metering, not AF assist.

The AF assist is just a set of red lines/spots that should line up with the AF points on your camera.

One thing that baffled me for a while...was that the camera needs to be in 'one shot' AF mode for the AF assist beam on the flash to activate.

Thanks Big Mike. AI Servo was my problem - seems to be working now!

It probably is firing a pre-flash, but it's quick and you don't notice it...but that is for E-TTL metering, not AF assist.

The AF assist is just a set of red lines/spots that should line up with the AF points on your camera.

One thing that baffled me for a while...was that the camera needs to be in 'one shot' AF mode for the AF assist beam on the flash to activate.

Diz-actly!

Most reactions

Back